The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 16, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Noreaster

IDPA classifier

What is this and how do I find one. I just missed one at the local club. Thanks in advance, NE.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The IDPA Classifier is a standardized 90 shot course of fire that is required for IDPA members to be classified - Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, Novice - in sanctioned competiton. It is completely described in the rule book and is on the IDPA.com site.

It is not real popular among shooters who want novelty, excitement, and entertainment, so it is not offered very often. About all you can do is ask the local club(s) to notify you the next time it is offered.

Around here, it is often done as an add-on before or after a regular match, for those who need a classification. Ask, there is no reason not to get together with an SO and have him run you through the Classifier on an off day.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:26 AM   #3
Noreaster

Thanks Jim. I was afraid I missed something I needed. I'll just wait for the next one around my area.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Jeff22

IDPA classifier

I LOVE the IDPA classifier match. It's an outstanding test of basic skills.

I really like shooting USPSA classifier matches for the same reason.

But mine is a minority opinion I think . . .

Get on the IDPA website and check out clubs in your general geographical area and then email the club coordinators and see who might be running a classifier later this summer.

Check out this link from Collin County IDPA in Texas. It's a very well known primer on shooting the classifier and well worth reading

http://www.ccidpa.org/classifier-tips.html

Last edited by Jeff22; May 20, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:01 AM   #5
iblong

Simply put it puts you in a division with shooters on your level.
I shot one Sunday in the rain and after three seasons I finaly made
expert in ssp .what that means instead of being at the top of the heap in sharp shooter division I get to have my butt kicked regulary for a while again.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
RickB

All affiliated clubs are required to run the classifier once during the year, on their regular match weekend, but it seems that a lot of clubs do it no more often than that. Any SO can officiate, and the classifier does not HAVE to be run on a match day to count, so if you can arrange with a SO to help you, it could be done about any time. The score does have to be signed-off and submitted by a club rep, so there has to be some sort of coordination between you and the club to get the score approved and submitted.