The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1
chilton1990

Best Deals on 380??

I am looking for 380 hollowpoint ammo for my CCW. I have been looking into Remington Golden Saber, and it is really hard to find around here. Anyone know a good website for ammo?

I found one called discountammosales.com. The ammo price was great but shipping cost more than the ammo!!! (Ex: $11.99 for a box of 25 Golden Saber 380....but over $15 to ship!)

Does ammo always cost this much to ship?
Old February 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Technosavant

Ammunition is not cheap to ship since it has to be send with ORM-D labeling, essentially marking it as regulated material that can be hazardous, but generally isn't due to how it is packaged or the quantity involved. It can be more expensive to ship than some things of similar size and weight (but then, keep in mind the lead involved means ammunition is heavy for its size, and that reflects in the price to ship too). That said, that's a pretty high price for just one box of ammo.

While I order ammunition to be shipped, I rarely order just one box.

Checking at Brownells indicates their price on .380ACP Golden Saber is about $25/box, so I really wonder if the place you contacted has an insanely low retail price but they're making it up on shipping (a practice not unknown on eBay- sell at cost, but charge over double for shipping and make your money there). If the shipping price doesn't scale directly with how much you buy you might still get a good deal on it if you buy a bunch (say, 10 boxes), but you'd have to check that.

Generally, premium quality defensive ammo is going to go in the neighborhood of $1/round no matter whose it is; Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc., and caliber doesn't make much difference either. A box of 20 rounds may vary only $2-3 from .380 all the way up through .45ACP.
Old February 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

http://www.ammoengine.com/

Gives some price references, and links to online stores.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 20, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
therealrasta

Not sure about your state.. But to be honest.. Bass Pro Shops always has ammo I need at very close to same or lower prices than anywhere esle.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Sparks1957

I've become a fan of

http://www.sgammo.com/

Decent shipping costs and some of the best prices I've seen anywhere. Buying in bulk really helps hold down the per-round shipping costs.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:27 PM   #6
AndyWest

I've found http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ to be good. I use BVAC or Lawman for practice and Gold Dot for CCW, occasionally shooting that too ("shoot what you carry").
Old February 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
Technosavant Ammunition is not cheap to ship since it has to be send with ORM-D labeling, essentially marking it as regulated material that can be hazardous, but generally isn't due to how it is packaged or the quantity involved. It can be more expensive to ship than some things of similar size and weight (but then, keep in mind the lead involved means ammunition is heavy for its size, and that reflects in the price to ship too). That said, that's a pretty high price for just one box of ammo.
The ORM-D label adds nothing to the cost of shipping.
Ammunition must be shipped Ground and is not mailable (too bad since a USPS Flat Rate box can go to 72lbs).

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Tags
380 , ammo , price , remington , shipping