The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Fuzzymaster

Looking for a 45LC mold.

For now I will be using these in a 1894CB. Looking for something in the 250 - 255gr. Don't shoot cowboy, will be paper puncher and hunting round.
Old April 28, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../bullmol2.html

There are a couple that would fit the bill on this page. The price is right, too. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 29, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Nomadicone

I really like the Lee 452-255 RF in my 45 Colt. It shoots well and has a nice large meplat. Price is hard to beat too.
Old May 4, 2010, 05:59 AM   #4
sourdough44

FYI, I just did some casting the other day, nice outside. My mold was a Lee .452 200 grn 'tumble lube', semi-wadcutter,RN looking. Things went very well. The bullets mic'ed right a .452 and weighed 206 grns, with my mix. I plan to use them in the 45 colt,45 Schofield, and 45 acp. I tumble lubed some alox , & dried them and so far loaded up 80 in 45 schofield cases. They went in and snugged up very well,no special sizing needed. I think I cast over 200 in my short session. I plan to build up a supply and then try them in the 45acp once I switch over from 45 colt/schofield reloading.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:22 AM   #5
DiscoRacing

Quote:
Lee 452-255 RF
Ill second that
Old May 9, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Arch in Maylene

Lee Casting Advice

I like my Lee molds and pot much better than my old Lyman stuff. Lee's aluminum molds heat up fast and don't rust. They are also cheap. Follow the instructions on conditioning the molds. Instead of dropping your hot bullets on a towel, drop them into a 5 gallon bucket of luke warm water.

I cast two Lee 45 ACP bullets and I have only two complaints about their equipment.

First, the 10 pound production pot leaks, splattering hot lead all over the bench. Wear a pair of nomex gloves when you cast and keep a stubby slot head screw driver beside the pot to turn the rod 1/4 turn.

Second, if you buy a 6 cavity mold, get an extra sprue level. It’s cast and when cutting the sprue on big bullets like the ACP or the cowboy, the lever will break. To avoid being down until Lee replaces the arm, keep a spare. Lee should really invest in a milled lever. I’ve broken two in exactly the same place. I sent them a letter with a picture and they sent me an insulting note about how to use it. You're probably better off with three 2-cavity molds than one 6-cavity.

I don’t believe the “Tumble lube and don’t size” line. I do both.

Also, keep you velocities relatively low. If you overdrive these bullets, they will keyhole on you.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

Lee 452-255 RF

Another vote for the Lee 452-255 RF. If I can have only one bullet for my .45 Colts, this is it. It has a good crimping groove so it is suitable for the tube-magazine of my Marlin. I pan lube them and cut them out of the lube with an expanded cartridge case. I shoot them as-cast; no sizing needed. For me, they shoot as accurately as any thing else, often better. I use them in my Vaquero and Marlin. I use lots of them and consider it to be the best all-around bullet I've ever used for .45 Colt. I have a Lee 452-252-SWC mould also that I like. But it's primarily a revolver bullet. I haven't used it since I got the Lee 452-255 RF. One size fits all. My moulds are two-cavity; I've no experience with the six-cavity moulds so cannot speak for them.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I really like the Lee 230 grain tumble-lube truncated cone bullet. I lightly roll crimp into the top little grease groove.