The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Grandpatime

why is hevi-shot popular and buffered lead is not???

why is hevi-shot all the rage now?I know it produces tight patterns .But how much better can hevi-shot be than buffer+copperplated lead?
Old January 25, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Magnum Mike

You cant legally use lead for waterfowl
Old January 25, 2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Grandpatime

im talking about for turkey hunting
Old January 25, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Magnum Mike

For turkey I still use lead. In some refuges and wild life areas use can only use non toxic shot I'm guessing.
Old January 25, 2010, 02:55 PM   #5
johnbt

"But how much better can hevi-shot be than buffer+copperplated lead?"

My experience with them is from duck and goose hunting. Hevi-Shot is denser than lead. That means more range(smaller, heavier pellet travels farther than lead), more pellets in a one-ounce (or 2 oz.) payload and more hitting power per pellet at the target.

I'll tell what will blow your mind, look up Tungsten Super Shot, they have a site. It's so dense, even compared to Hevi-Shot, that they only sell #5 and #7 shot and show on their site how it will go through a Mallard at 70 yards or more.

Sure it's expensive. Somebody once told me that Woody Allen said duck hunting was about like standing in a cold shower and tearing up twenty dollar bills.

John

P.S. - Whether any of it makes any difference depends on the situation and the shooter. I know turkeys aren't very hard to kill. My father shot 2 large turkeys out of the air with 2 fast shots many decades ago. They were dead when they hit the ground. He was shooting common old high brass #6 in a 20 ga. Model 12.
Old January 26, 2010, 02:18 AM   #6
bamaranger

Heavi-shot/ tung based shot is popular for turkeys (ducks too) because it adds range and penetration to your shotshell/gun.

The space metals are harder and denser than lead. Because they are harder, they do not deform easily (if at all) upon firing, and allegedly fly truer, thus denser patterns.

Since they are heavier than lead, when started out at the same velocity, they retain velocity better at range, increasing penetration.

Guys that are shooting them tell me they add 10-15 yds range onto their shotguns performance. Maybe more.

I have not made the switch, since I'm doing just fine under 45 yds w/ lead.