The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 21, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1
KC9LDB

Pistol to rifle conversion kits!?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.html

Anyone ever used something like this before, looks interesting!!!!
Old January 21, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I like the idea, but they are incredibly expensive for what they are.

I see them as a bridge between rifle and pistol. You already have the pistol, with these kits, you can turn them into a rifle if you need them. The problem is, you can buy a decent rifle for about the same price as one of these conversions. Marlin and Puma lever-guns are all in about this price range, and I would rather have one of those than turn my 1911 into a carbine; you just don't really save anything having the pistol and using these compared to having the pistol and using a dedicated rifle, keeping the pistol for backup.

On the plus side, if you are already set to carry your pistol, these can be a small, lightweight package that doesn't require any extra ammo carry, but I would still argue that I can carry a lever-carbine easier than this contraption. If its just for target shooting, just buy the dedicated rifle.

If they were cheaper, I would consider one.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

^^^^

What he said.

Those were almost my exact thoughts.... why? I'd rather have a handgun AND a rifle.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

These things make sense in jurisdictions that limit your purchases or the number of guns owned. Double the fun for one slot.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:23 PM   #5
peaceful

Ditto here also

Several years ago I was doing some "Gate guard" duty and had our RV set up there for 24 hour duty as is required at some sites. We had a lot of "undocumented" (wetbacks) aliens coming through at all hours of the day & night. I was told to let them drink water from the stock tank but be wary and make them get out of there quickly. I had a 1911 which I still have and I wanted a carbine. So I purchased a Marlin Camp gun in 45 acp. It uses the 1911 clips and there is no mixing or messing up calibers when thing get anxious.
I still have it and now have a couple of 18 shot clips for it also, just in case.
Peaceful
Old January 22, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
The Great Mahoo

Out of boredom, I looking into these conversions a bit. The onlything I can think of it being useful for me is for hiking/camping/outdoors-ing. I'd get the basic model, a colapsable stock, and fixed sights. This would get me a compact unit that could be attached to my pack, keeping weight down, but allow me to turn the 1911 on my belt into a rifle, while keeping the bulk of my gear to a minimum. Price for this? 459.85 for the bare-bones, no thrills.

Thats $500 (with shipping and all) for something that does absolutely nothing. I still need a 1911 (or Glock) to do anything with it.

I could get a used Marlin or Legacy arms for less, my local shop usually has them in for $350-500. I could get a Hi Point Carbine for ~$250, which apparenty is coming out with a .45acp model, as well as their 9mm.

If these conversions could be had for ~$200-250, I might be inclinded to get one to save on weight. The only use I see of these, for the money, is as mapsjanhere has said.
Old January 22, 2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Carne Frio

I have one sitting on top of a Glock M20 frame. 10mm goodness.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have to admit, it would be a good way of getting a 357sig rifle. You should be able to get over 1700fps.