The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
R n Y

Remington model 11, year,worth

just picked up a older model 11 with a 4 diget ser.# 17 " barrel 12 Ga. Does anyone know what year it could be or it's value?
Old January 18, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
ZeroJunk

Maybe the best thing to do is go to Gunbroker.com or one of the other on line sites and see what people are getting for them, not necessarily what they are asking. I just bought a dog for $175 because I wanted the receiver with the safety in front of the trigger guard instead of hanging down inside of it. Some sellers are asking $400 or so for a really nice specimen. I supect the barrel has been cut, may be illegal. Be careful.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

I just sold one this past spring... was 20 gauge tho... for 400
Old January 18, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think if it is a 17" barrel it needs to be built pre 1936...
Brent
Old January 18, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
R n Y

The barrel has not been cut as far as I can tell, still has site on end, I have no intentions on selling it. But the 4000 ser. Number made me wonder if it made it an early model? It does say Browning's patents # and dates. The barrel has the same 4000 # on it...
Old January 18, 2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Zildjian

Remington Codes

See if this helps you any. It states that it has info on shotguns also. good luck to ya.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9555
Old January 18, 2010, 10:04 PM   #7
R n Y

Thanks for the Remington codes. But it also states A 2,3 letters on the barrel and mine only has one letter "M"
Old January 18, 2010, 10:26 PM   #8
30-30remchester

If it is truly a factory 17" barrel you need to get in contact with BATFE as the barrel is shorter than allowed. Eighteen inches is the minimun lenght of a shotgun barrel. If original you can register it with them for a few dollars thus allowing you to legally own a shorter than legal gun. However just because it has a front sight is no indication of original. Any shade tree gunsmith can shorten a barrel and reinstall a front bead. I have studied older guns for 5 decade and while not an expert on the model 11, I have owned a few and studied old Remington catalogs and have never heard of ANY manufacter producing a 17" barrel. My best advice is to disassemble the gun today and bury that barrel until you get a ruling. If my suspentions are correct it has been shortened by a ham handed previous owner. You can buy a junker gun with a longer barrel or simply look for a barrel online. If it was me I wouldnt sleep a wink until that barrel was off my gun and buried. I want no trouble from the feds and a felony will insure you can never own another gun as long as you live. To properly measure a barrel lenght make sure the gun is unloaded then close the action and run a small rigid dowel down the barrel till it bottoms out on the bolt face, then mark the dowel at the end of the barrel, then measure the length of the dowel to the mark. If it truly is an illegal barrel I would dig it up and hammer if flat then throw it into the deepest lake I could find, then find a new barrel.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:56 PM   #9
R n Y

Thank you for the scare... I did measure with a dowel rod and it is 18-1/8'. instead of my out side measurement. Witch to me seems way to short. "But leagal" that is one reason I wish to buy a longer barrel. Do model 11 barrels fit multiple years?
Thank you all for your help!
Old January 19, 2010, 12:30 AM   #10
30-30remchester

I believe barrels are interchangeable but not sure. What is the choke marking on the barrel, full-mod-ic-or cyl.? If it is anything but cylinder bore then it is a cutoff barrel. However most companys produced a 20" barreled cylinder bore and a few manufactured an 18" cylinder bore gun.
Old January 20, 2010, 03:50 PM   #11
BAD_KARMA

Remington used to have a very good article on the mod 11 on their website I am not sure if it is there anymore. Barrels should be interchangeable from beginning to end of production.

as a side note you can use a mag extension for the 870/1100 on the model 11 you will need about a 1/8 inch spacer to make sure the forearm is seated fully. Do not use a barrel clamp just as an fyi. If you want to shoot it make sure you read on how to set the recoil system up. There are some articles about this that are very good. 90 percent of a-5 type guns I look at are not set correctly. make sure you push the barrel in and tighten the endcap very well or the forearm will split. also it is a recoil system don't feel the need to keep the mag tube well lubed. ie wipe off all the oil you can from this part so the brass ring can grab it and slow the barrel down.

Proud owner of mod 11 ser. num. 1xxx and about a dozen others.