The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Raider2000

My custom Muzzle Loader for hunting - Lots of Pics

As some of you have read in my past thread I have re-acquired an old friend, my CVA Bobcat .50cal rifle.
A good shooter & just the right amount of barrel for brush hunting, not too short for a slight loss of power but not too long to make it hard to swing at a nice buck come season opener but this Plastic stock just makes it way too light weight for recoil handling & to me is just BUTT UGLY AS ALL GET OUT.

My thoughts were to find a nice wood stock & finish it to where I would have something that not only shoots good but also looks good too, well of corse CVA has not made this particular rifle in some time & finding some parts is a hit or miss & I wasn't in the mood to have to work on a blank piece of wood, but as I was looking I come across Traditions Deer Hunter rifle that for the most part it was a near identical weapon except that it has a 24 inch barrel to my 26 but it comes in Kit form!
A cupple of emails & a phone call had me a $40.00 wood stock coming my way.

Once I got the stock I started the rough fitting & I found a few minor issues, the Tang inlay as well as the Trigger Guard inlay was slightly longer than what I had with my parts & ofcorse it comes with that rubber butt plate.
I had planned to get a nice brass trigger guard & possibly a better looking trigger, gotten them from Track of the Wolf” & I'm toying with a few ideas on what to do about the slight difference in the Tang inlay area "either do a Dutch or see if a Hawken style hooked breach Tang will work with the Barrel that I have" & eventually I'm going to get a nice Brass butt plate to accommodate the rest of the look that I'm going after.
So far after 15+ hours of work & about $70.00 of Wood, Steel, & Brass I have a nearly finished piece that shoots quite well, I’ve temporarily screwed the rear area of the Guard to the stock till either I braze a plug & pin it there or I get a Hawken style Tang & run a screw to the guard Hawken style.

What do y-all think?
Anything I should do?
Old May 26, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Gbro

Look very nice.
Hows the trigger pull?
Is that cold blue?
Old May 26, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Raider2000

No that is the orriginal bluing that the rifle come with from CVA almost 15 odd years ago.

Trigger pull is around 4.5 LBS with practically no creep, that Lock is in Beautiful shape where I have not needed to do any work to it.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Pahoo

Appreciated !!!

Raider2000
I have been waiting for your pictures and can appreciate what you are going through. Looks like you have turned a Ford, into a BMW. Sure appreciate you doing all this homework as I really think you have nailed it. You have maintained some very fine lines. I'm still working on my T.C. Hawken and down to the brass work and sealer. Are you going to install brass or steel Escutcheons in the forend wedge area? Are you going to change out or add some different sights? I anticipate your satisfaction when you take a deer with this little beauty. Don's forget to post some field pictures of your kill.

Excellent work !!!
Old May 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Raider2000

Yeah I had ordered the Brass Wedge plates when I ordered the trigger & guard but they were on back order, funny thing though is that I had recieved an email Thursday indicating that they are on their way but I had already gotten the screws for them.

As far as the sights go I'm goin to stick with the stock Brass Blade front & Semi Buck Horn rear non adjustable because I can hit pretty decently out to 100 yards with it using a .495 PRB & 90gr. 777 fffg & I really don't need for a longer shot than that at Deer here in Louisa Co.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Hawg

Looks good. I'd have stained it darker like maybe antique walnut but that's just me, I like dark wood.
Old May 28, 2008, 07:20 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Pour yourself a pewter nose.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:11 PM   #8
long rider

What do y-all think? anything i should do?
Yea go out and shoot the darn thing.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:47 PM   #9
RoaringBull

AWESOME job!! I gotta start building these things myself!
Old May 28, 2008, 05:16 PM   #10
long rider

YEP nice job there raider.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by long rider
What do y-all think? anything i should do?
Yea go out and shoot the darn thing.
Well ahead of ya there bud, done that this weekend, & had a blast!
Sorry no pictures of the targets, we kinda pulled em down prety quick but the shooting was very pleasant compared to the plastic stock.

Had even a 10 year old that was there with his dad & grandad load & shoot it twice once even at full load "he did pretty well too."
The Dad wanted to trade his "jammed every other round Norinco .45ACP" for my sweet Pietta 5.5 barreled 58 New Army, told him that I like the smoke too much to give up my lil baby.

Thank you all.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:55 AM   #12
Dezynco

Wow! Great job!

I've got a CVA Bobcat, and I've often thought about doing the very same thing! The rifle shoots really well, but the stock is butt ugly and way too light.

I may just do the same thing to mine, now that I've seen yours!
Old May 30, 2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Pahoo

Quote:
Pour yourself a pewter nose.
Years ago, an old Buckskinner showed me how to pour and fit a pewter nose cap and it would make a nice looking addition. I have made and fitted brass nose caps and this too would add to the looks as well as protecting your rod inlet. They make these as well and as handy as you are, it would not be a problem. I do find that when these projects get stretched out too long, I get impatient.

Quote:
Had even a 10 year old that was there with his dad & grandad load & shoot it twice once even at full load "he did pretty well too."
I have read previous posts on the limitations of what young folks can shoot. We teach kids as young as eleven. This includes girls as well as boys. We load 40 grains of 777 in a .50 Bobcat. The point is that a young person should not have a problem shooting a .50 when properly instructed and supervised.

"Again, great job and post"

Be Safe
Old May 30, 2008, 12:19 PM   #14
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
I have read previous posts on the limitations of what young folks can shoot. We teach kids as young as eleven. This includes girls as well as boys. We load 40 grains of 777 in a .50 Bobcat. The point is that a young person should not have a problem shooting a .50 when properly instructed and supervised.

"Again, great job and post"

Be Safe
Exactly, my 6 year old is learning under my wing how to shoot archery & she has also shot my .22 Ruger Single Six as well as my .44 Pietta 58', she loves going out with me either the the range to shoot archery, or firearms or to fish out of the pond there, she also likes me taking her out to the hunt club to check for sign & just scout around.

I may get a brass nose cap soon.