The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2008, 04:49 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Lee Expander Powder Die

Since I set up my Lee turret with .45 ACP dies, it seems as if I can't get much flare to the casings when I keep screwing in the expander die.
I have my Pro Powder installed, but I get barely enough flare to keep from shaving lead when seating, and yet the die is screwed in almost to the end of the threads!
Any thoughts from those of you using the Lee dies for .45.
I load 4 other calibers, and never noticed that to be a problem?
Thanks,
SN
Old February 14, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Foxbat

I am using it on my Load Master without any problems, and in fact have more room for adjustment. Are you sure you have the black nut tight?
Old February 14, 2008, 07:00 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Fox

No "Black Nut" on my Lee Classic Turret. We have the stainless lock nut, that you finger tighten, and I do so it is not moving.
It's just not matter how much I turn the die in, it really doesn't increase the flare on the casing.
All in all, I've had more goofy things with these .45 ACP Deluxe dies, than with any others that I use.
Maybe I just got a crappy bunch?
SN
Old February 14, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
MADISON

Lee Expander Powder Die?

I have an interesting 5 die set up you can copy.
I use the regular decapping and flareing die
Then I ADD the Lee Powder through the expander die with the old style Lee Disk Powder Measure.
Then the seating die with an extra Taper Crimp Die.
Old February 14, 2008, 07:25 PM   #5
DennisD

Sounds like something is missing, out of place or just the wrong part. Mine has 1/2 inch of thread above the nut when it is adjusted to the flare I want. If I cranked it down as much as you say you have yours, I think it would split the case. Are you using a riser for the powder dispenser? Check to make sure the extension is in place inside the riser. Then take out the expander and try to put it into a sized case to see if it is a pretty tight fit at the start. If everything looks right, contact Lee. Maybe the parts you have are incorrect (may have been returned to the place you bought it from or put together wrong at the factory). Good luck.

NRA Life
Old February 15, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6
ShootingNut

Dennis

I will do as you suggest, something has to be wrong. I have used the mic on the center and mouth of the casings, hardly any flare regardless how far in you go with the die. Should be able to make it look like a funnel if you wanted to. Will keep working on it.
Thanks All!
SN
Old February 16, 2008, 07:22 PM   #7
jhansman

My Lee Powder Through Expander die for .45ACP works just fine. Call Lee and explain the problem; my guess is they will want that die and replace it.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:41 PM   #8
DaveInGA

Sounds to me like you may have gotten a very old set of Lee dies. At one time, they made a their dies shorter than they do now. I would call Lee, explain your problem and see if they'll fix it for you with some replacement dies.

Regards,

Dave