The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2017, 12:14 AM   #51
PzGren

jackmoser65,

the Korth revolvers that were still made in Ratzeburg have much more charisma than the Korth / Nighthawk CNC produced guns. In Ratzeburg the guns were largely made by hand from forgings. While this gives the guns character, the downside is that grips do not interchange without fitting, even rear sights and front sights need individual fitting.

I also like East German shotguns made by Merkel/Simson, being hand engraved makes them all a little different.

I agree with you completely that used guns shouldn't be overlooked when one is interested in quality firearms, guns that precede the CNC era will have personality and quality that is more and more unaffordable at current salaries. I have quite a few S&W pre-lock and older Ruger revolvers were I also prefer the older manufacturing dates.

Nevertheless, the current production Korth and Manurhin revolvers can be considered to be the best production DA revolvers available nowadays but like in a Ferrari, you will pay a lot of money for a little bit of high end.
Old March 17, 2017, 07:20 AM   #52
arquebus357

never mind

Last edited by arquebus357; March 17, 2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old March 17, 2017, 08:07 PM   #53
saleen322

The latest Smiths are very good and VERY accurate. I cannot speak to the new Dan Wessons but the older ones are legendary for their accuracy. I have Ruger revolvers as well, strong but the Smiths and Dan Wessons I have I believe have an accuracy edge. As others have mentioned Freedom Arms are precision instruments but they are single action.

FWIW, bac1023 has one of the best--if not THE best collections of top end handguns of anyone who posts on The Firing Line so that should be kept in mind when reading one of his posts. YMMV
Old March 18, 2017, 01:24 PM   #54
jackmoser65

Quote:
the Korth revolvers that were still made in Ratzeburg have much more charisma than the Korth / Nighthawk CNC produced guns. In Ratzeburg the guns were largely made by hand from forgings. While this gives the guns character, the downside is that grips do not interchange without fitting, even rear sights and front sights need individual fitting.
I wasn't even thinking about the Nighthawk guns. I know they are very finely made. I have no doubt of their quality and I don't question the asking price but like the two you pictured, they just don't appeal to me aesthetically.

The Merkel guns are quite different. I have two and am considering another. Nowhere near as fine as a Holland & Holland or Westley Richards but a great substitute for those who don't want to spend $50,000 on one.

Last edited by jackmoser65; March 18, 2017 at 01:33 PM.