The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 9, 2017, 12:29 AM   #51
PzGren

Who displays their guns in their home?

Some guns, yes, but not firearms. I have muzzleloaders, a cap 'n ball revolver, British Wilskinson swords, and a couple of handmade boar hunting spears out on display in my office.

Despite an alarm linked to a security company, I have my firearms well secured in some better safes. Heck, even the accessories are in a couple of safes. My dozen Swiss P210 mags would be too hard to replace!
Old February 9, 2017, 06:46 AM   #52
PatientWolf

Nope

Not even to my wife.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:38 AM   #53
rebs

Back in the day you could have a gun cabinet with a glass door but no longer. In todays world everything needs to be hidden and locked up
Old February 9, 2017, 08:37 AM   #54
wild cat mccane

The "good ol' days" didn't include 24/7 news that included local news at national levels.

Kids still killed themselves and other kids by accident in the "good ol' days" from people not securing their guns.
Old February 9, 2017, 05:33 PM   #55
Brian48

I don't. Same for anything else in the house of high value. Way to inviting to unwelcomed (and maybe even welcomed) visitors.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:31 PM   #56
Rockrivr1

Not in MA. If seen you'll be charged with improper storage, lose your license and they will confiscate all your firearms with no recourse.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:54 PM   #57
sgms

Yes ricklin, the house was build post WW2, the room was added sometime after the original house and was built (had the original blue prints) and buried under the back yard with a short hall. The door appeared to be newer than that. I loved having a gun display room, wish I could find another like it someday.
Old February 10, 2017, 06:09 PM   #58
osbornk

Quote:
Back in the day you could have a gun cabinet with a glass door but no longer. In todays world everything needs to be hidden and locked up
Sometimes it's good to live in the sticks in the mountains where we are about 30 years behind the rest of the country. My long guns are locked in a nice wormy chestnut cabinet with a glass door sitting in my den where only family and special friends go.
Old February 13, 2017, 04:46 PM   #59
dajowi

No displayed guns, no displayed NRA stickers, no displayed trophies, no displayed anything that alludes to firearms.

Having mounted trophies in your house is a dead giveaway that you have firearms. I know people who keep the shades on their house closed fearing someone walking by will see the trophies and rob the place.
Old February 14, 2017, 07:19 PM   #60
SauerGrapes

Use to when I was younger. Paranoia set in. If I had a nice den, I would consider it.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 15, 2017, 07:44 AM   #61
OS11085

Don't display any of mine. Friends know I have them most of my friends also have guns. Here my wife watches little kids and she doesn't want to temp them One is a boy who is infatuated with guns uses his legos to make toy guns. So the rule here is lock them up or get rid of them. Getting rid of them is NOT going to happen. So they are out of sight.
Old February 15, 2017, 11:25 AM   #62
TailGator

My man cave is decorated with reproductions of old tin signs, some of them firearm related, and my reloading press is in plain view. The guns themselves are locked up out of sight, though. I remember the glass front cabinets, though, and I remember kids having .22s in wood racks on their bedroom walls. It just doesn't seem to be done much any more. I was in one older fellow's home, though, who had quite a few black powder revolvers and rifles on the walls, some reproductions and some antiques.
Old February 15, 2017, 07:22 PM   #63
22-rimfire

If you didn't know it already, you would never know that I owned a single firearm. No displays. No safe in the living room...
Old February 17, 2017, 12:27 PM   #64
FairWarning

I don't even display mine much on the internetz any more....
Old February 20, 2017, 10:23 PM   #65
OneFreeTexan

wow

One of my grandfathers build a new house in the 'country'. He was from Chicago and had been "connected". In his house there was a large room at least to me, where he played cards, It was all concrete and the door was inside a closet inside a closet.
Another friend only displays guns that are 'pure crap' under the theory that the burgles will take those and be satisfied.

Where I live now, I have a small plot of land inside a much larger land holding, that employees a security guard 24/7.

Also, some of you put too much information out there,, where you work, where your wife works, do you have dogs, what days you are gone... I guess it has never happened , however a smart burglar,,,,,,is there such a thing....could have a field day with the info he picks up here.
Old February 22, 2017, 04:45 AM   #66
jetinteriorguy

I would only display mine if someone breaks into my house.