The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Cheapshooter

My routine, with a semi auto anyway, is 100 rounds minimum without a problem. Then I try 20-25 rounds of se eral SD rounds to see which one I shoot best. So the total before I carry a semi-auto is 160-175.
I don't do as thorough of a shake down with revolvers. Mostly shoot enough to see how it handles, and determine a point of impact.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 21, 2016, 11:39 AM   #27
dstryr

I asked the same question about 4-5 years ago when I bought my first pistol and put many hundreds of rounds through it as fast as I could get ammo and get to a range. The pistol is an FNP40 and I don't recall All of the ammo I used but American Eagle (165gr I think) would short cycle and eject the spent round but the slide did not move back far enough to pick up the next. All other ammo cycled perfectly and I subsequently bought an identical FNP40 and then a Sig P229 Stainless Elite. The Sig had mag issues early on and were replaced by Sig. Let one FNP go but the FNP and Sig I have will chew through Anything and Everything, HSM, Freedom Munitions, anything off the shelf locally(though I still do not buy American Eagle). After the handfull of failure to feed issues with the first FNP I was skeptical and wanted someone to say the gun should NEVER fail to feed/eject/whatever. Reality is I didn't know what to expect or what expectations to have. Now, if I bought a new handgun and had a failure, from some experience I'd be more aware of what and why, decide if it is a grip issue, ammo issue, or gun issue and then troubleshoot from there.

My FNP40 has probably 6000 rounds through it, Sig maybe 1500, and Zero failures after the what I call weak American Eagle ammo and mag issues. That's a lot of rounds to have zero failures, IMHO. Bottom line, I'm happy with these two guns, they fit like a glove, and have met my expectations in that the guns Always fire when I pull the trigger.

If I bought a new gun, I think anywhere up to 200 rounds w/out an issue I'd be happy and going from there, if there were no failures that could be attributed to the gun itself(ie, not counting ammo or operator issues) then my confidence in that firearm would be unquestioned. But, with that, I still practice clearing them, just in case.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old September 21, 2016, 12:57 PM   #28
manta49

Quote:
. My question is, after how many trouble free practice rounds do you guys shoot , before a gun is deemed trustworthy enough for carry duty
You will find it is trustworthy enough, if it works in the very unlikely event you need it.
Old September 21, 2016, 03:16 PM   #29
fastbolt

Some thoughts ...

While the gun companies can exert reasonable control over the design, materials, manufacture, production and assembly of their products, once a gun leaves the factory it's going to be exposed to influences over which the factory has no control.

Those are:
Shooter (grip/experience)
Ammunition (quality, under/under-powered, manufacturing tolerances, etc)
Maintenance (cleaning, lubrication, etc)
Conditions (in which it's used, including environmental factors)

Something else I take into consideration is the actual make/model of gun involved.
Quote:
I'm very anxious to carry this gun, I've waited 3 years to find it ( hard gun to get).
What is it, and is it known for reliability, and for demonstrating that level of reliability with a wide variety of ammunition?

Is it a pistol that has been widely used in either LE or Mil circles, meaning it's been tested and observed in all manner of conditions across a wide variety of users & owners?

I typically buy and/or use pistols and revolvers which have been designed for modern use, using good quality ammunition, in the hands of average skilled users. They've been around a while, and the companies have enough of them out there that they've "proven" themselves.

So, knowing the guns are modern, major-maker guns, now I just want to confirm that the particular ones I decide to buy, or are issued, are normally functioning examples of an already proven product.

I used to have a figure in mind for the number of "confirmation" rounds fired (200-300), but that changed over time to take into consideration a very important part of semiauto pistol functioning. The magazines used.

Magazines are at the heart of pistol functioning. That being the case, I typically like to make sure that during my "confirmation" range session(s) I run at least 25 rounds of the loads I'm actually going to use/carry with the gun, through each magazine. Preferably 50+ rounds.

If I only have 2 magazines at the time, then I up the round count to 50-100 rounds through each one. More magazines on hand, like 4-6? Then back to 25-50 rounds per magazine. I need the magazines to demonstrate they're operating normally.

I've encountered my fair share of issues with some brand new magazines. Some were materials, some were manufacturing and some were just assembly issues that were easily corrected (once recognized).

The major maker modern pistols seeing common service in LE/Gov circles have been produced to use much of the modern defensive/service ammunition. Some older designed pistols sometimes weren't necesarily as accommodating or tolerant of JHP ammunition, and were actually made with ball loads in mind, but newer guns have benefited from modern needs and requirements. What's yours?

Given my druthers I like to start out my confirmation range session going right to the carry ammo. Why not? It's not unknown for premium carry ammo to be on the higher end of the quality and "power" level, compared to budget/low cost "practice" ammo. Budget ball ammo might have velocities on the lower end of the usual range (lower powered), and since new guns have new, stiffer springs, why not break them in with premium ammo that runs more toward the higher end of the normal range?

I'll often test-fire to confirm functioning with either whatever current JHP load is available (as issued ammo), or, given my druthers, with a mixed assortment of current and past carry JHP loads. If it's a small pistol, like my LCP's, I like to run a mix of the commonly available JHP's through them 9and their mags), which for me usually 4 different types of major maker JHP's.

Some gun companies will offer suggestions to LE agency customers regarding "break in/confirmation of functioning" practices, and some will defer to whatever the customer wants to do, or already has in place as a normal practice.

Revolvers don't need magazines, so I do a normal inspection of condition (assembly) and operation of the gun, and fire anywhere from 25, 50 or 100 rounds of the ammunition I plan to carry in it. Either one brand, or an assortment of loads. I have at least 3 major maker brands/loads I like for most of my revolvers, because you can't predict availability issues ahead of time. I check the firing pin hits on fired cases, too. I also like to check for signs of bullet pull, especially when using my lighter weight snubs and hard recoiling loads.

Now, as an armorer I've had to make repairs and corrections on both brand new and existing/in-service guns. The round count fired for confirmation of successful repair and restoration of normal function is another subject, in and of itself.
Old September 24, 2016, 11:58 AM   #30
chaim

For revolvers, I run about 200 rounds of anything through them to be sure they function. The type of bullet doesn't really effect the function of a revolver.

I've seen people say 200 rounds of your carry ammo. I think that's a bit much, but if you can afford it that is great. Because autos are more likely to be ammo finicky it is important to see how it works with your carry/home defense ammo, and with a variety of ammo.

Personally, after 200-300 rounds of ammo I'm pretty comfortable, but I don't just shoot one or two brands of FMJ and a mag or two of JHP and call it a day. I will buy several boxes of the cheaper practice JHP (WWB, UMC, Fiocchi, etc) and shoot at least one box of two different brands, and preferably three. I will shoot one or two boxes of my more expensive defensive ammo. That puts me between 140-200 rounds of miscellaneous JHP, and I usually shoot a few boxes of FMJ from different manufacturers as well. That tells me that my gun will reliably work with a variety of JHP and FMJ ammo, and it has given me a good representation within my likely carry/HD round as well. Occasionally, I'll trust a gun with an exceptional reputation after about half of that, but I'll try to get to at least 300 rounds (half JHP) as quickly as possible, and I want at least 100 rounds of mixed JHP (at least 2 loadings/brands) in even the truncated testing.

Also, since batch to batch, there can be subtle differences within even the same brand/loading, I try to sample the ammo in my gun every time I buy new ammo. Preferably, I'll buy 2-3 boxes from the same lot and keep one to load up and test the other(s). However, if budget or availability means only one box, I'll shoot about half and keep about half to load for defense.

Because magazines are a possible stumbling block for an auto as well as ammo, I try to mix up my mags in the above testing as well.

Last edited by chaim; September 24, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old September 25, 2016, 12:01 PM   #31
Don P

Quote:
Do you think that's enough??
Yes in my opinion you are good to go, from your opening post.

Just remember, any mechanical devise can fail at any given time. My point to this is your round count is good. Will another 100-300-1,000 rounds make a difference?? At any given time the next round could cause a malfunction regardless of how many test rounds have been fired. carry with confidence
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; September 25, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old October 23, 2016, 12:05 PM   #32
Brit

The type of person you are, counts. As a IPSC and IDPA shooter, since 1980, ran my own Training Facility, for 20 plus years, Security/Police/ Military Students, I have shot a lot of rounds, through all kinds of hand guns.

When do I trust my CCW?

My two Glock 19s, set up the same, for IDPA, and carry, have seen plenty of rounds through them. The one on me now, a Gen 4, TruGlo night sights, butt plug, Glock extended slide lock. As I think Glock magazines are among the best in the world, worry free. Now and again I clean the pistols, even though I do not work in a Coal mine!

My mantra... Same gun, same place, always. No thoughts of what am I carrying today?
Old October 23, 2016, 02:06 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Just remember, any mechanical devise can fail at any given time. My point to this is your round count is good. Will another 100-300-1,000 rounds make a difference?? At any given time the next round could cause a malfunction regardless of how many test rounds have been fired. carry with confidence
Right, it may be proven to you to work with some type of ammo based on an arbitrary test number of rounds fired, but each shot is a unique and independent event.

"Trust" is a funny word. I know my gun is reliable for self defense, but I don't not assume that it will be malfunction free and so I prepare accordingly.
Old October 24, 2016, 11:38 AM   #34
Neal_G.

Quote:
I know my gun is reliable for self defense, but I don't not assume that it will be malfunction free and so I prepare accordingly.
That's a good way to put it. I'm always mystified by people willing to sell off a perfectly capable and functioning gun because of a random malfunction, that could be attributed to any number of things. Machines break parts and machines malfunction eventually, learn to fix them and move on.
Old October 25, 2016, 05:34 AM   #35
Mobuck

I carry a Ruger P95 so the answer was "take out of box, clean and lube, load and fire for zero, and put in holster". Hasn't failed in 15 years(+/-).
Old October 26, 2016, 09:44 PM   #36
jrothWA

When you shoot with confidence and clear a number of..

tables at a Bowling pins shoot.

Here you are combining the time of pressure and getting consistent hits[clear pin off the table] and you, the ammo and firearm are flawless in operation.

Then you decide!
Old October 27, 2016, 06:18 AM   #37
Lohman446

I think I am going to revise my answer to never...

And then start to throw out some caveats. While there are likely some guns that are so unreliable carrying them would be untenable the idea of "trusting" your carry piece to function when needed is also, to some degree, untenable.

If your practice and familiarity with said firearm do not include addressing malfunctions (and I do believe in creating them through the use of non-live rounds during practice) you are neglecting an important part of being prepared. Further if you do not have some consideration of a "plan B" should your firearm fail you are also neglecting some aspect of being prepared.
Old October 27, 2016, 11:51 AM   #38
armedleo

In a SD situation your first round fired is crucial. Learn to draw and fire smoothly. Everyone has already offered you very sound advice on break-in. Be certain that the ammo you will be carrying runs so I'd shoot at least two mags of defensive ammo with the actual mags you intend to use. Most malfunctions are mag related. So test them out well.

As was already mentioned, learn to clear stoppages quickly. In that regard, always carry a spare mag. That is not so much for the added ammo (although that's a plus), but to assist you in clearing malfunctions and get your gun running again quickly.
Old October 27, 2016, 11:54 AM   #39
MarkCO

Not until 200 rounds, some dirt, some dust, some water...at a minimum.
Old November 4, 2016, 11:10 AM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

If it's entirely new to me? Platform, manufacturer, etc. 500+ rounds and it has to pass my drills.

A familiar platform, manufacturer, etc, 300 or less. Which entails just doing my drills with 250-300 rounds. Some I have found to cut me up real nice too lol.
Old November 18, 2016, 04:46 PM   #41
Mannlicher

no pistol or revolver is 100%, and never will be. wring the new one out, and you will develop confidence. How many rounds? Depends on you.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 18, 2016, 10:51 PM   #42
kilimanjaro

Load your magazines and fire one full mag as fast as you can. Don't bother aiming, just point towards a safe backstop and dump the mag. Run off 100 or 200 rounds. If it fails, examine why. If not, you're good to go.
Old December 20, 2016, 12:33 PM   #43
IrishGuy824

Every single person is different. Some people may be comfortable after 50, some 100, some 300, some even more than that. It's until you feel comfortable shooting the gun.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be looking for mechanical flaws with the firearm, you may shoot 5000 rounds at the range without a problem, and then need it for self defense and it doesn't fire the first round in the chamber.

Instead, I think you should be getting used to shooting the gun. Get used to the sights, some guns you need to aim a bit lower than your target to hit it. The goal should be to get as accurate as possible with it.

But also, I would carry it after the first time at the range simply because if it's your only gun for CC, it's better than no gun at all if you need one.

Si vic pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war. These are words to live by.
Old December 20, 2016, 01:15 PM   #44
Model12Win

Well my Makarov PM has fired close to 3000 rounds of ammo with 0 issues whatsoever.

I trust it.