The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 4, 2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Do few AR guys trade a typical 20" upper for a 16"?

There's a unique appeal with a friend's original Colt, which has the 20" barrel.

It's not the carry handle or the look, but the much better sight distance and accuracy.
All of my shooting is with iron sights, at least while the eyes hold up. Retiring March 29th.

Edited: the upper is the 16" on my S&W Sport II.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 5, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old March 4, 2017, 02:54 PM   #2
rickyrick

I prefer 20" but I have 16" because the prices are lots lower.
Old March 4, 2017, 02:59 PM   #3
9x19

The longest barrels I own are 16", but I'm not an iron sight shooter anymore.

Optical sights are much easier for me to use, so I left irons behind a long time ago, though I do keep back-ups on my ARs, they are rarely needed. The optics I use (prism sights or low powered scopes) still work even if the battery dies.

Bushnell's Disspiator offered a long sight radius with a 16" barrel but don't know of many others in factory trim. Of course you could always mount a front sight out at the end and use a low profile gas block further back.
Old March 5, 2017, 07:58 AM   #4
Mobuck

I have 16", 18", and 20" on the shelf with 16" being about 2X advantage over 18 & 20 put together. I utilize the 20" when I feel the need for 300+ yard shots while coyote hunting but I haven't taken a 20" AR outside for about a year.
Since I don't use open sights, the only advantage is higher velocity.
Old March 5, 2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Jimro

Congrats on retirement. I just passed over TERA to take SELCON, so I kicked that can down the road for another three and a half years.

The 16" barrels will give you the same sight picture as an M4 if you use the irons, which as you know isn't that great. The folks who compete in High Power service rifle universally choose the 20" A2 or A4 configuration.

The folks who compete in 3 Gun, almost always choose a 16" barrel combined with an optic as it is generally faster through all stages.

If you are happy with a 20" barrel, no issues sticking with it. The cost of a new 16" upper (complete) from PSA is very reasonable if you'd like to try a shorter barrel at some point in the future.

Jimro
Old March 5, 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
ed308

I have 16", 18" (3 Gun) and a 20". Don't care for the balance of my 20" AR. 16" 15 perfect for weight and balance.
Old March 5, 2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Dragline45

I own two AR's, my first was a 14.5" midlength, my second was a 20". While I can really appreciate the compact size of the 14.5", the 20" is an absolute dream to shoot and is my favorite of the two, it also takes full potential of the 5.56 round. M193 out of a 20" barrel will punch through level 3 steel armor like butter where a 14.5" or 16" will not since it lacks the velocity. For that reason I sold all my level III armor and grabbed a couple sets of 3+ which will stop the faster 5.56 rounds.
Old March 6, 2017, 02:13 PM   #8
DMK

Quote:
All of my shooting is with iron sights, at least while the eyes hold up. Retiring March 29th.
Congratulations on your retirement! More time for the range.

Most of my ARs have optics, but I still like shooting with irons (so nearly all my optics are on QD mounts) and all of my ARs have good quality iron sights.

I really like the midlength carbine for the best happy medium. It has a longer sight radius than an M4 type, but is still handy and light with the right barrel. I have two midlength carbines and shoot them the most of any of my ARs even though I also have two 20" carry handle rifles.

I really do need to get out to the range more with the lightweight pencil barrel, slickside, A1 style 20" though.
Old March 6, 2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Venom1956

I prefer the rifle length gas system.

I have mid 14.5 P&W and a rifle 20 something its much smoother carbine length I only tolerate on pistols
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 6, 2017, 03:20 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Sticking to .223/5.56 for the discussion....

I started with 16s.

Now, everything that matters has a 20" barrel. (Except for the 7.5" pistol.)
I like the longer sight radius (where applicable).
The 20" barrels give a little boost in velocity.
And I don't pretend to be an 'operator' on the weekends. So I don't need short, barrels for 'CQB'.

As mentioned above, rifle-length gas systems usually run smoother, as well. It's a tiny difference in how the rifle 'feels' when fired; but enough that I prefer mid-length over carbine (on 16s), and rifle over mid-length (on anything longer than 16").

The biggest compromise, generally, is weight. Unless one goes pencil-thin with the barrel, a 20" barrel will almost always be heavier than a comparable 16" barrel. And, since a 20" barrel is likely to be running a rifle-length gas system, the hand guard(s) is likely to be longer and heavier, as well.

I got around some of the weight issue on my 'walking varminter' upper by going cheap and simple for the hand guard -- modifying some parts to use a G.I.-style hand guard cap and rifle-length surplus hand guards on the 0.936" diameter gas block seat.
Unusual, unpopular, and questionable in today's free-float-happy world. But it saved weight and works just fine.
Old March 7, 2017, 10:58 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

16" "dissipator if you are using irons. JMHO.
Old March 17, 2017, 08:11 PM   #12
smee78

My first upper was a 16" dissapator, the next was 24" I hope to meet in the middle and build either a 18" or 20". I also prefer a rifle length gas system and like the longer length handguards and sight radius.
Old March 17, 2017, 10:20 PM   #13
MagnumWill

I have a 7.75" barrel, had a 10.5" barrel, a 16" barrel and a 20" barrel. So far... the 20" is my favorite. Easy shooting, good balance with a fixed stock, more accurate than it should be...
Old March 19, 2017, 09:54 AM   #14
navajo

I've had most configurations on the market.
The plain vanilla A2 is still my favorite.
A1 stock and hand grip. Iron sights.
After all, it was designed sround a 20 inch gas system and that gives the best functionality.
Old March 19, 2017, 10:03 PM   #15
ronl

I personally prefer the 20" I have a 14.5 carbine, 16" mid-length, and 20" A2, and the 20 is my favorite to shoot. I use it for coyote hunting all the time.