The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 10, 2017, 09:14 PM   #1
rjinga

Red Dawn and a Nazi Vampire

I’m trying out the OnTarget Precision Calculator program; I wished I’d found it a year ago. Now I can do in a couple of minutes (and to 0.001 of an inch) what used to take me 10-15 minutes to try to do with a photo editing program.

After I set the scale and mark the shots, the program determines the center of the group and then draws the rectangle through the center-line of the two or three most outlying shots, and the circle from the center point using the mean radius. The mean radius (as defined in Hatcher's Notebook) “is the average distance of all the shots from the center of the group.”

I call the one set of targets "Red Dawn" because the soldier's helmet looks Soviet bloc to me. They are life-size targets. And, I call the other the Nazi Vampire because, well, he looks like a stormtrooper who's one of the undead. He's not quite life-size.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old March 10, 2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Mobuck

I took the suppressed Ruger 17 HMR out today looking for a feral tomcat that's been hanging around. On the way through the corral, I took a shot at a small dirt clod on the pond dam about 150 yards away. PFFTTT-pop, the clod disappeared leaving a divot so I shot at the divot. PFFTTT-pop and the divot got just a little bigger. I could actually see the mud squirt back out of the hole when the second bullet hit.
No need for a program, funky targets, or anything AND at a distance that's actually suitable for field use.
Old March 11, 2017, 03:14 AM   #3
bamaranger

entertaining

Fun target. I typically buy packs of paper plates. The 9" and smaller 6" (?) as well.