The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 2, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1
old fart

savage 62 or crickett??

i have a neighbor who just bought a crickett 22lr at wal mart and now finds out his arms are a bit long to really shoot it good. he has offered to trade me it to my savage 62 that i bought recently at wal mart too. now the reason he offered me a trade is i can shoot the crickett great, got my 5yr old son one and have already broken it in. now price wise the crickett is higher, they are $114 and the savage is $99. but i am stuck on which would be the better trade, i shoot both guns good, both guns are accurate, i like the savage for easier scope mounting and 10 shots, the simple single shot does bring back memories tho. so to ask those that can shoot both, if you shot both good and could choose one to keep which would it be?, or if you had a 62 would you trade to a crickett? or vise versa. thanks
Old March 2, 2017, 11:09 AM   #2
HiBC

Frankly,I have not fired or used either.

I have a couple of Grandkids,and a couple of Chipmunks. The Chipmunk is no longer in production,but its similar to the Crickett.

One little concern has me thinking I might have done it different if I had do-overs.

Its the cocking knob and little fingers. Kids are tough and they will get it done,but pulling that knob back is an opportunity to launch one early.

I think the cock on opening or closing single shot might be a better idea and,IIRC,the Savage meets that criteria.
Old March 2, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Just give him cash and keep both guns.
Old March 4, 2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Geezerbiker

You can buy an adult sized stock for a Cricket on their website. I think the Savage Rascal is a better rifle but it lacks the accessory support that the Cricket has...

Tony
Old March 4, 2017, 01:48 PM   #5
alaskabushman

I own a Cricket, a Chipmunk and two Rascals.
For kids, I dislike the pulling on the bolt to cock the rifle. I've seen kids put the gun between their knees and try pulling on the bolt with both hands...for guns with no safety this is BAD BAD BAD! Did I mention no external safety? The Rascal has one, but the Chip and the Crick do not, and once the gun is cocked you have to fire the gun to unload it. A gun designed for KIDS with no safety?

The Rascal also has a feed ramp, which makes loading much easier, especially if a scope is mounted.

For kids my vote is overwhelmingly Rascal, for adults who want a mini pack or survival rifle, all of these models are incredibly reliable and scary accurate for their size.
Old March 4, 2017, 05:39 PM   #6
HiBC

AK Bush,We agree!! That cocking knob thing and kids is an issue.

I may end up getting something else for the Grandkids. A buddy has about 10 of the old Boys rifles (Crackshot,rolling block,etc) he is putting barrel liners,etc in.He put me on the list. Or maybe a better bolt rifle,like the Savage. Didn't Marlin make one,too? I wonder...

If you want to have some real giggles,get a .22 dueling tree and have adults go for the Chipmunk/Crickett championship of the world!!

For the Pack rifle,one of My Chipmunks is a 22 WMR. Its fun!!
Old March 5, 2017, 07:49 AM   #7
Mobuck

Grand-daughter has one of the little Savage "starter rifles"-------I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL.
Old March 5, 2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Smoke & Recoil

10-4 with post #3 per Blindstitch.
Old March 5, 2017, 01:56 PM   #9
alaskabushman

I was lugging around my dad's Remington 510 single shot with a 24'' barrel when I was just a little guy. I made it work and I learned to shoot with that gun. I was also gifted a Marlin 25 and toted it around until I stole the Rem 510 from my dad years later. I still have them both and they are both very accurate. These are both full-sized rifles.

All this to say you dont HAVE to have a youth rifle to learn and have good fun.
Old March 5, 2017, 04:04 PM   #10
HiBC

Old Fart,if you have access to two Cricketts,I suggest keep both of them and get a 22 dueling tree.

Its such silly fun to have each the same rifle and get all frenzied up battling away at a dueling tree with those pint size single shots.