The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1
DarthNul

Loose wood grips - PA 63

I bought a FEG PA-63 that came with custom grips made of some unspecified "exotic" wood.

On this gun there is only one screw that holds on both left and right grips. The screw goes through the left grip and into a nut embedded in the right grip.

I have tightened the screw as much as I dare. I feel like it'll strip if I go any further, but the grips are just not quite tight enough. The left grip will wobble just a bit if I squeeze a little harder than normal.

I was thinking about putting a light coating of clear silicone caulk on the inside surface of the wood. Then let it cure a week or two, and re-install the grips. I'm thinking this will prevent the wood panels from slipping along the frame when the screw is torqued normally.

Any better ways of doing this? Could sealing the wooden grip panels on only one side lead to warping?
Old November 14, 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

What I've done is spray the grip frame with mold release or rub it with Johnson's paste wax and put a little JB Weld onto key points on the grip panels themselves, then close them up. Take them back off about 2 or 3 hours later and trim away any excess. The JB makes a good gap filler, but about any bedding compound or filled epoxy will work. You can get wood-colored ones if you think it will be seen at the edge.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 14, 2011 at 12:44 PM.