The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2000, 12:08 AM   #1
Zonie

My S.A. Champion has a quirk that may sound familiar to you guys. If I try to chamber the first round from a mag by releasing the slide stop, the round will hang up on the frame, right below the feed ramp. If I pull the slide back and really let it fly, this doesn't occur and the gun feeds reliably. However, no matter how I chamber a round, if I pull said round out of the gun, it has a NASTY gash on the bullet from the frame.
Old March 5, 2000, 08:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Zonie, there could be two reasons for this. The magazine follower might not be holding the cartridge at the correct angle and needs to be replaced/bent or you need to have your feed ramp polished. If it happens with all your mags then it's the ramp. You can do this yourself but I don't recommend it. Last year I thought I was going to have to start specializing in installing ramped bbls to save the frames folks were ruining by over zealous polishing. George
Old March 6, 2000, 10:26 AM   #3
Zonie

thanks for the info, i'll have a smith do it.