The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2006, 01:06 PM   #1
swipter

AL391, Need help...stovepipes

My AL391 stovepipes when trying to shoot doubles. I have shot 500 rounds through it and tried different makers of shells with no luck. My son is using this now because I bought an O/U. Any idea what may cause this? I am thinking about sending it to Beretta for repair but do not know if it is broken. I have read several threads on here about reliability and how they only jam 1 out of 500, and so on. Mine isn't like that. It will stove pipe 50% of the time. It does it whether it is clean or dirty. All ideas are welcome.
Old February 13, 2006, 07:05 PM   #2
swipter

Going to Beretta for repair.
Old February 13, 2006, 07:40 PM   #3
iudoug

Maybe I am too late...

I had one that gave me fits...would shoot fine for awhile and the wham...Ended up it was a real sloppy shell carrier. Since then it has been to Argentina,Iceland and countless local hunting and sporting clays with ZERO problems Good luck, Doug
Old February 13, 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
swipter

I think that is the problem here but don't know. I do know it isn't supposed to do what it is doing. It is understandable that a semi shotgun will have jams or stovepipes every now or then. If it was that way there would be no problem. I have since purchased a Beretta 687. Don't have to worry about that one messing up like this. Thanks for the info.
Old February 15, 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
runny214

What is stovepipes?
Old February 15, 2006, 06:57 PM   #6
swipter

Stovepipes (to me) is when the shell does not go in to the chamber but goes to the side, up or down and you have to pull the slide back slightly to realign it to go in to the barrel.
Old February 17, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
dgludwig

swipter: What's the procedure (address, etc.) for sending a gun back to Beretta? I've got a 390 that's been acting up and the dealer I bought it from is out of business. My gun is long past the "warranty" period. Thanks.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:02 PM   #8
swipter

They have an address on their www.berettausa.com web site. You pack it up and put a letter inside to tell them what is doing. That is it. They said the wait is about 4-6 weeks. Less if it is under warranty and it is the first time it was sent in.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:49 PM   #9
BUCKMARK

Beretta is very well known to fix their guns long after the warranty is gone.

If you send it back and they find that something broke or has worn out from normal use, they will almost always fix it for free.

Let's Roll!