The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Fer

Range of 00 ammo

In our company the security personell has two short barrell pistol grip mosber shot guns, what would be the range to kill a bad guy with 00 ammo?

Thanks
Old February 15, 2006, 09:27 PM   #2
esldude

Well first, this may be more opinion than anything. Have read of an officer killed at 85 yards. One pellet entered his eye and killed him. Know of deer killed at 80-100 yards. Again, usually freak pellets entering an eye, ear or something similar.

Considering how it it loses velocity, 50 yards is likely stretching it. 25-35 yards is where it probably hits the limits of good effectiveness.

Wish I had the links, but someone had done ballistic gelatin testing at different ranges. And beyond 35 yards the amount of penetration was way down.
Old February 16, 2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Fer

esldude,

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I am more of a handgun user and do not know much about shotguns. I really appreciate your help.
I tought that since this was a shotgun forum I would be overwhelmed with varios responses and advise from the shot gun experts but I was wrong.

Fer,
Old February 16, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Springfield XD40 Man

00 buckshot would be mighty effective against a criminal at 10 feet. Its the best close quarters combat weapon out there, bar none.
Old February 16, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5
mete

The recommendations for hunting deer with 00 buckshot is 25 yds max. There are two considerations - pattern , the longer the range the wider the pattern - velocity, round shot slows down rather quickly. Combine the two and 25 yds becomes a reasonable maximum for deer or BGs.
Old February 16, 2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Fer

Thanks guys,

What would be better for the security department, 00 shot or slugs?
These are the only options we have.
Old February 16, 2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Makarov9x

There are alot of variables to consider for distance. Just a few are: barrel length, size of charge, type of ammo (steel,copper or lead) and barrel choke. Under perfect weather conditions and a good combination of varibles I listed above, I have seen deer taken at 100 yards.

Mak
Old February 16, 2006, 01:25 PM   #8
mete

Stick to buckshot for a security department , the slugs have far too much range and penetration. Give the people training !
Old February 16, 2006, 07:22 PM   #9
chemist308

I haven't gotten any kind of a usable buckshot pattern past 25-30 yards, but then I wouldn't expect to accurately handle a pistol past that.

Quote:
Private security, not LEO...how about bean bag or rubber slugs and tazers?
Old February 16, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10
gordo b.

"What would be better for our security department"

What would be many many times safer saner and more effective than bouncing lethal projectiles 100's of yards willy nilly would be: putting stocks on the guns so the sights could be used to actually hit 'bad guys' at anything other than telephone booth interior ranges Those pistol grip stocks are good for breeching locks on entry guns and mall ninjas to scare the uninformed and gangsta posers Shotguns, like any other firearm, must be carefully aimed so as to account for the impact of every projectile when shooting anything other than birds, this means raising the gun to eye level. Of course you can make a hip shot in any circus, but real life-forget it.:barf:
Old February 17, 2006, 05:57 PM   #11
webbee

Take a look at the data presented on tacticalworks.ca.

For Shot:

http://www.tacticalworks.ca/content_...mmunition.html

For Shotgun Terminal Ballistics:

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html
Old February 17, 2006, 07:04 PM   #12
Pezo

These are the only options we have. are they tubular magazine pump guns? why not carrry buck then slug then buck then...... I would however say, I would NOT want to shoot either in a pistol grip only gun. Try shooting the NON recoil controlled slug shells out of em.