The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2000, 10:05 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Bought the Wheeler Bore Lapping Kit from Midway a while back but have not used it yet. Has anyone had any experience with this kit. They suggest using either cast or jacketed ammo. Anyone have a preference. I will wait until the weather gets warmer before I take it to the range. Also any suggestions on what to clean the barrel out with between the use of the different grades of lapping material. I will be using it on an old 30-06 bolt action rifle.

------------------
In the shadow of Bunker Hill from the People's Republic of Massachusetts

Old February 11, 2000, 10:59 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Paul, I've never used one of these kits so I really can't comment except to say the Neco kits sold by Brownells come with lead slugging bullets. I really don't know how well they work or why they would work any better than properly breaking in the barrel. George
Old February 12, 2000, 07:05 PM   #3
Ken in Iowa

Wheeler kit is ok, instructions are a little vauge. NECO has a small book of instructions. G.David Tubbs has just introduced a lapping kit consisting of pre-coated jacketed bullets with 5 different grits. His idea is to use the longest bullet available for your caliber. In your case about 220 gr or so. The longer bullets have greater bearing surface and will be more efficient at lapping. Accuracy is not important while lapping.
Clean after every grit change using your regular cleaning procedure.

------------------
Old February 13, 2000, 07:31 AM   #4
Colduglandon

Thanks Ken. George thought I would try to restore some of the accuracy of my favorite old rifle. Had it for over 30 years and it was not new when I bought it. The National Rifleman did a couple of articles on bore lapping in the latest issue. They did not use much ink on fire lapping though. I will post a follow up on this after I go to the range. Damn its cold.
Old March 4, 2000, 10:02 PM   #5
Colduglandon

Went to the range today. I used 165 grain cast bullets with 23 gn of SR 4759. Right now the rifle is in the basement. I am soaking the bore with some cleaner. I used 15 rounds 5 with each of the three grades of lapping compound. I cleaned between grades of compound. Boy was it dirty. Haveto wait to see how it shoots.
Old March 5, 2000, 08:50 PM   #6
Nyterunner

Do NOT use lead for lapping. The NECO kit explains that the slugging bullets are for checking barrel dimensions and feeling for tight spots ONLY. Use of lead for slugging a barrel can cause excessive and immediately noticable throat erosion.
I guess that's what you get for a little more money -better instructions (NECO has a nice booklet that comes with the kit and explains both operation AND theory....
Old March 8, 2000, 11:28 PM   #7
Colduglandon

Nyterunner unfortunately your advise came after I had done the procedure. I was not able to obtain much information on the procedure other than the instructions that came with the kit and an article in the National Rifleman. Neither source advised against the use of non jacketed bullets. C'est la vie. I will have to live with the gun the way it is and hope that you are wrong.

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited March 08, 2000).]
Old March 9, 2000, 12:38 AM   #8
Herodotus

What is the advantage of any fire lapping product or procedure versus just hiring a good gunsmith to hand lap a barrel? I have never had a barrel lapped, so I just don't know. Some people want to lap a worn barrel. Do barrel hand lappers ever lap worn barrels?
Old March 12, 2000, 08:49 AM   #9
Colduglandon

Ran some Lake City rounds through the rifle yesterday morning before the rain started. Shoots much better. Four our of eight in the 10, the rest eight and nine. It was all over the paper before. I just bought a Lee Collet die and am going to try some reloads next. I don't know much about the science of lapping a barrel, would be interested in finding out more. I was hoping to restore some of the accuracy to my old rifle, and it seems to have worked. We'll see what happens in the long run.