The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 16, 2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Metal god

Starting my first AR build

Hey guys just bought a striped lower today . I am new to the AR platform . I do have a complete Del-Ton ECHO 316 rifle I just recently purchased. I did have some trigger problems at first but should be good now . It's on its way back from Del-Ton now .

While I was working thru the problems with the Del-Ton . I started to understand the rifle design more and how it operates . So when I saw striped lowers on sale at the local gun store for $80 I thought hey I'll buy one and build an AR my self . You put the bullet in one end it go's bang and fly's out the other end I mean HOW HARD CAN IT BE ???!!!

So my question to you all is were do I start ? I don't mean that literally , obviosly I start buying all the parts for it . Im not so much intrested in the upper at this time ( Baby steps ). I more want to concentrate on the lower .

Im not looking to shoot competition with this rifle . This will be more for plinking and just over all having fun with .

Are there parts or manufactures that I want to stay away from .I do not have an unlimited budget so I'd like to keep the price down a bit . ( I don't want to go cheap but a drop in $250 timney trigger would be a bit much for my budget ). Bushmaster , DPMS , Del-Ton and others all make complete lower parts kits . Are they all about the same or do some stand out . Should I buy each part individualy or is a parts kit the way to go .

Thanks for the help a head of time .

If there is another tread that answers my ? and you can help giude me to it that would be great
Old June 16, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Lot of first time builders go with a completed upper and assemble the lower, LPK, RE and butt stock them selves.

I well recommend a ArmaLite two stage LPK, it's $120 and has a fine two stage trigger that is user adjustable. Plus all the parts are first rate. Pick a butt stock and build away. Brownells has a great set of assembly videos.
Old June 16, 2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Coach Z

Palmetto state armory has some sales on complete lower build kits. You can get one for $90 that is EVERYTHING you need including butt stock parts grip etc. check them out. I just ordered five of them last week and very impressed with the quality
Old June 16, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
DeadCenter

The last AR build I did I bought the lower kit minus trigger from Palmetto State, then picked up a Rock River Arms NM 2 stage trigger kit from Joe Bob Outfitters. The RRA trigger is not quite as nice as my Geissele, but a pretty good 2 stage trigger if that's what you want.
Old June 17, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
bulldawg1024

check out Palmetto State and also Surplusammo.com. The build I just did was from surplus. It turned out awesome. They sell complete uppers also.
Old June 17, 2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Metal god

Pre ban and post ban

thanks for the help its working out great .

So i've been looking around at uppers . I see a lot of pre ban and post ban uppers and stocks . Im not seeing whats different about them . Can anyone help on this issue .
Old June 18, 2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Baylorattorney

Bayonet lugs?
Old June 18, 2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Coach Z

Certain states that still have "assault weapon bans" prohibit certain things on guns but if it was built before the ban you are exempt from the regulation.

A broad generalization but you get the idea.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Metal god

Done ish

Well , I finished the build . I went with Midwayusa cus they had a fricking great deal on a Del-Ton complete everything except the stripped lower .It had the lower parts kit ,Butt stock and complete upper( 16 " heavy barrel , crome lined 1-7 twist ) mid length gas system for $499.99 . The complete build cost $600.00 out the door .
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4234/phone2010.jpg

Im still planning on putting a free floating quad rail and new gas block as well as a magpul CRT stock on it . That will put the cost at $850 for a gun if bought at a store would put you back $1,200 plus . Im very happy so far . I took it to the range and put about 300 rounds thru it . It had no problems at all .

I also had my other AR with me.This one cost me $850 out the door from tuners . http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/835/phone2011.jpg

It worked great as well . As some of you might know . when I Bought the dark earth AR it had a bad trigger group and would fire 3 and 4 round burst on slow trigger releases . I sent it back to Del-Ton and they replaced the hammer and the diconnect . all is good now .

I still have one more stripped lower to build . I think Im going to build this one from the ground up . Holy cow I have always wanted just one AR and now look at me .

Just say NO to SB-249
Old July 6, 2012, 12:29 AM   #10
Marquezj16

Congrats on your build. Looks pretty nice. $600 is a great price for a rifle.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
toppermost

[duplicated info]

Last edited by toppermost; July 7, 2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: im an idiot
Old July 9, 2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Justice06RR

Congrats on your build! You really saved a lot of money by doing that. $600 is excellent for a complete AR15.

We kinda have the same taste on the Magpul FDE. Mine looks about the same as your Delton, minus the MOE handguard which I plan to buy anyway.

Just a small advice on posting pics, use the code with the [IMG] on it so it will directly post the pics within the thread.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Metal god

Thats pretty sweet . I was planning on doing someting like that to my dark earth AR .Then I bought 2 more stripped lowers so im going to put YHM free float quad . magpul CRT stock , gas block , scope and now maybe a new RRA trigger on the new black AR I like to call ( little evil ) . See if I can make it a good shooter .

First I should put a scope on it and see how good it shoots as is . That way I'll know if putting all that money in to it was worth it . We'll see cus I can't stop sinking money in to my guns .
Old July 16, 2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Metal god

Palmetto state sucks

PSA is the worst company I have ever delt with on the net .I Placed my order 10 days ago ,they took my money 8 days ago and still have not shipped my items . I've sent 4 emails and they have not told me anything but when it will ship and then that day passes , twice . My order still says prossising . Everything I ordered was in stock so whats going on over there .

It would be diferrent if had not billed my card . The fact that they took my money makes those items mine and no longer theres and I want them . Has anyone else had bad service with PSA.
Old July 29, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Metal god

More done-ish

WHOO HOO ROCK & ROLL

New stuff - YHM ( Tod Jerret ) free float rail , double Rail gas block , red dot , bi-pod , flip up sights , CTR stock , magwell grip . Hogue grip . On a Del-ton upper and a PSA lower .

Total cost of the build to date $1,030.00

Last edited by Metal god; July 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM.