The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
egward

Swapping smoothbore & rifle barrels

I bought a cantilevered rifle barrel for my Mossberg 500 20 gauge shotgun. I mounted a scope on it and sighted it in. However, I still want to use the gun's original smooth bore barrel for small game hunting. Will swapping the barrels back and forth affect the accuracy of the scope? In other words, will I have to re-sight the rifle barrel every time I want to use ?
Old November 16, 2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Pahoo

Okay, I am to understand that the scope will stay on the slug barrel, then you will change out your slug barrel for a shot barrel. Whenever you reinstall the slug barrel, you are questioning if you will have to resight it?? ... Right?
In a given season, I do just that and no, have not see any accuracy problems. However, at the beginning of every season, I put in some range time to confirm it's accuracy. Now, if you were talking about a reciever mount, then I'd have greater concerns. Hope this helps ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 16, 2009, 02:05 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes the canti barrel is the one the scope stays on... I figure it should be close enuff for gubmint work (deer huntin' too) but always once before season as pahoo said, it needs qualified. Also, one round down the pipe when reinstalling it can't hurt and that way if you do miss than it won't be any question that you were the cause and not the barrel/scope combo at fault...
Brent
Old November 16, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
zippy13

Greetings egward, and welcome aboard,
Quote:
In other words, will I have to re-sight the rifle barrel every time I want to use ?
As mentioned by Pahoo and hogdogs, a pre-season sighting-in is always wise for optical and open sights for all firearms. As far as frequent barrel swaps, you should be okay to maintain zero unless there's been an impact, or the mounting screws become loose.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
shortwave

egward,can`t add anything additional to the great advice you`ve allready received. Just wanted to say "Welcome to TFL"!

Last edited by shortwave; November 17, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:01 PM   #6
hardluk1

A different batch of ammo will affect the zero more than the changeing for the barrels on that type setup.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
OfficerJohnson10

I've got the same set-up and never had a zero problem yet. However I put two or three rounds down range before the season just to make sure because If I don't, that will be the season that monster buck of my dreams comes by and I miss because I was lazy or being cheap in trynig to save some ammo.
Welcome to the forum.

Your goal in a gunfight should not be to simply survive...it should be to prevail.