The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 3, 2005, 03:09 AM   #51
ManChicken

I'm a TV editor/graphic designer. Single, so my money stays that way! Only recently got into handguns, slowly building my collection. Wish I would have gotten into this 10 years ago!
Old April 7, 2005, 02:19 PM   #52
pepsquad

part time ups full time student

i have a few guns, enough for now, i have an XD-40 on layaway and will have it paid off by the end of the summer. after graduation all gun buying stops for probably three years while i work at UPS and another full time job and stock pile the money, being young and poor is one thing when you are a student but being young and poor when you are a quasi responsible person sucks. after the three years it will defiantely be time for something new and spiffy or old and cool. currently i just dump my pocket change into a jar and try to hold onto it.
Old April 18, 2005, 03:22 PM   #53
UT_Air_Assault

I'm a 23 year old college student, doing the Army weekend warrior thing, ROTC (they pay pretty well actually) and working. Over the last 2 years I've gone from a small collection of hunting guns, to owning 15 weapons (including a Bushmaster Modular Carbine w/Eo-Tech, AK-47, Springfield V12, SiG 220, Glock 32, Beretta 92FS, and a bunch of other cool toys). How did I do it? Don't go to bars on the weekend, don't eat out, watch the small things in your budget and most importantly make your dates pay their own way (or they pay your way. haha! Trust me guys, it works). But now I have a huge collection (my gun safe is getting crowded) and I no longer have to worry about saving up for new guns, and have been spending my "gun money" on other activities (try skydiving, its pretty wild). And best of all when I find a "serious girlfriend" and we merge our finances, I'll never have to listen to nagging about how much money I'm spending on toys. To sum it all up, live poor when your young and get lots of toys, than when you have a somewhat "complete" collection, you can devote your finances to new expensive hobbies, while still enjoying your pervious investment.
Old April 18, 2005, 07:29 PM   #54
Special-Sauce

Floor salesman, Desktop Support Intern, Poker player
"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction."

"Violence is not the answer, but it is a good suggestion."
Old April 18, 2005, 07:55 PM   #55
Ozzieman

Electrical design engineer

I make more than some and less than others. I just got a check back from the government for a little over 4200$ and half’s going for a HK SLR-8 with internal scope. N frames are my favorite and I also collect Civil war guns, I have an 1856 Burnsides carbine that I am working on.
To me it’s a hobby that allows me to be with friends and people that are the better part of America. For I truly believe that if your not a gun owner and are one of the anti-gunners, then you don’t believe in the constitution.
And if you don’t believe in the constitution, then you’re not an American.
Old April 19, 2005, 04:21 PM   #56
mikeb9550

The more you make, the more you spend. When my wife was in College, I use to say I couldnt wait until she was done so we could have more money. Well, now she is done, we do ok but have a much larger house payment, a new car, and those dang student loans. I too thought about taking up a part time job for fun stuff. Once I get everything caught up around the house, I plan on selling stuff on ebay to make a few extra bucks for my toys.
Old April 19, 2005, 05:45 PM   #57
jonathon

Quote:
I'm 15 and will be getting a job when summer rolls around until then I ask for guns on every occasion where I recieve a gift (christmas, birthday) My parents also give me money for getting good grades. I'm up to 6 guns in two years of shooting so I'm doing alright however, none of them cost more than $150.

When I graduate from highschool I am going to enlist in the Marines. How much actual SPENDING money does a Marine earn?

thanks,
rugerdude
Sounds like, me. Though, I'm going Army(same pay, better life). In the last thing the Marines sent me, I think they mentioned something on the lines of $1200 a month out of boot camp? Add that with all branches of the service getting 30 days of paid vacation.. good deal for me

On the Girlfriend/Spouse note..
The girl I hope to hook up with is an avid shooter Better than I am to...
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 19, 2005, 06:40 PM   #58
IZinterrogator

Quote:
I'm going Army(same pay, better life).
Go Air Force if you want a better life. Go Army if you want to get promoted faster so you make more money.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 19, 2005, 06:45 PM   #59
jonathon

True that. I had a friend who loved the Army boot camp, said it was challenging, but not over the top. Just need to shave a couple mins off my mile and I am ready :P
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 20, 2005, 07:18 PM   #60
Twycross

I work part-time at a laser printer service and supply shop. Not great money, but I am only just 18, single, and living at home. I will probably have to stick with just buying ammo for a while, as college is looming very fast, and my rig seems to always have something that has not quite recovered from being rolled. And with gas at $2.50 a gallon... :barf:
Old April 21, 2005, 07:23 PM   #61
Bacon

Engineer in the US Merchant Marine. At least for a little while longer. Looking to retire & get out of California. Find a nice low-stress job in the South around real people.