The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

It kinda followed me home.

I bought this from an old friend of the family. Her husband was a retired police officer that passed away about 10 years ago. It is believed that he carried this as his duty gun for a few years before he retired. He carried a Colt Trooper before that. Though that one went to his nephew. His wife kept this one in her bedside night stand. She says she oiled it every other month like clock work.

It has definite holster wear on the finish. Though the mechanical parts, and bore look like brand new. I am gonna shoot it in a little bit, and will check up on this thread when I get home.

S&W Model 28-2 with 5 inch barrel, and adjustable sights.

Old January 19, 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Microgunner

Sweet.
The mod 28 was called the Highway Patrolman wasn't it?
Old January 19, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3
sgms

.357 Highway Patrol, that is one good revolver you got.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good catch, how does it shoot? Targets, we need targets.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 19, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I did not get to recover targets. I shot steels with it. Every shot went where the sights were lined up with my .38 spcl 158 LSWC hand loads. (3.2 grains of Trail Boss with a 158 grain home cast LSWC estimated velocity is aroung 700 to 725 fps.

Tomorrow I will get to shoot some paper targets, and test for groups.

I forgot to mention the price was $300 cash on the barrel head.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #6
bamabiker

Congrats on getting one of my favorite S&Ws.
If the barrel really is 5" it might be something kind of special. The HPs are usually 4" or 6". Did you measure from the muzzle to the front of the cylinder?

Let me add, $300 for a nice N frame is pretty good these days.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:12 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

For the 5 inch measurement I measured from the front of the barrel band to the end of the muzzle. It was right at 5 inches.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #8
bamabiker

It should be measured from the front of the the cylinder. The forcing cone is part of the barrel. Your's is probably a 6" barrel.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

Remeasured from the crown it is in fact just a hair shy of 6 inches.

Honestly I could care less. I like it regardless of what the barrel length is. It ballances pretty well in my hand so it feels prety good. Though it is a ship's anchor compared to my K Frame Mod 67 4 inch.

Here they are side by side.

Old January 20, 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Target pics

Ok time for some target pics. I also have some chrono numbers on my pet load that was fired out of the gun as well.

Taget was at a distance of 15 yards. Shot from a standing position. Time between shots was 2 to 3 seconds. Both groups shown were shot while standing with a two handed grip in the isocolese stance. Both groups were 12 shots fired. (2 Cylinders each.) One group has 2 shots that were out of the group. Those were due solely to shooter error.

Load was a 158 grain Lead Semi Wad Cutter. (home cast from Lee .358-158 TL mold) Loaded in mixed head stamp cases with a load of 3.2 grains of Trail Boss and a Winchester Small Rifle primer. A light roll crimp is was applied to all rounds. Chrono was at 15 feet from the muzzle. Average velocity for 24 shots was 720 FPS Extreme spread was 39 FPS. Lowest velocity was 698 FPS Highest was 737 FPS.

Old January 20, 2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I do believe you know how to shoot a gun and your gun shoots well. Win win all the way.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 20, 2013, 07:35 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

Old grump most times I do not shoot those smaller groups. Most times I shoot one handed, and quickly, from a flash sight picture. When I shoot like that at 15 yards I can keep most all of them inside of the 8 ring.

I should note also that I was kind of shaky when shooting. I had to pee like no tomorrow at the last group. I was waiting for a cart to give me a ride to the club house to go to the rest room.

Oh and just for the heck of it I was shootin a couple of gallon jugs of water at 100 yards with my 4 inch Mod 67. Took 3 shots to get on target. The next two punched 2 bottles. It shoots flatter than I would have expected it to.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
4D5

Nice score on the new gun. And nice shooting as well.

I also scored a 28-2 a couple months ago. Haven't got to shoot it much yet with holidays and cold weather.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Woogeroo

A very nice find!

I woulda had to take it home as well.

-W
Old January 24, 2013, 02:13 PM   #15
glenncal1

There is a 4" Model 28 that had some finish issues by my bed as we speak and another no dash in the safe, they go with the half dozen 27's I own. N frames shoot good.

Many K and N Frames
Old January 24, 2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Oh and just for the heck of it I was shootin a couple of gallon jugs of water at 100 yards with my 4 inch Mod 67. Took 3 shots to get on target. The next two punched 2 bottles. It shoots flatter than I would have expected it to.
That is really common, nearly everybody overestimates the drop of a handgun round till they start shooting long range regularly. The fact you got on range so quickly means you are really grounded in the fundamentals and that will always do you well.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 26, 2013, 11:10 AM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

Old grump I was steeped in markmanship from a very young age with a grampa that was old school. I shoot most of my handguns at 100 yads. The real challenge is hitting the jugs with sub compact semiautos. I can pop the heck of them with BP revolvers. Though the BP revolvers were factory sighted for 75 yards.