The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 6, 2022, 04:22 PM   #1
Classic12

Colt M16 A1 Carbine

I bought this one back in September but it took a while to get the special license. I also grouped three rifle on the same license as the local regulations allow it, which took more time. So I only brought it home a week ago. It’s an export M16 A1 that served in Israel where it was likely modified as a Carbine.

It was sold as a former full auto transformed into semi auto. However it appears that the semi auto conversion was minimal : removal of the full auto sear, semi auto hammer and safety lever. The bolt is a full auto model. So I’m considering bringing it back to full auto at some stage. Cost was $ 1500, which is actually cheaper than most semi AR-15 A2 here.

Went straight to the 50 m indoor range

Whereas accuracy was good (I only gave a few clicks to the front sight to raise the POI), it didn’t function well with a several failures to extract and double feeds.

So I decided to get out of my lazy ways and give it a thorough check clean and lube.

It had a strange long buffer tube and a crappy stock. I took it completely apart and inspected it, gave it a good cleaning and lubing including the gas tube which was surprisingly clean, and replaced the buffer tube and stock. I have yet to test it again.

Old January 6, 2022, 04:23 PM   #2
Classic12

So it’s a bit of a mismatched mutt, lower and upper have different colours (lower black, maybe repainted, upper anodised grey), with various parts slapped on it, but I like it.

And it’ll fit well with the rest of the family

M16 A1

AR-15 XM177E2

M16 A2

ArmaLite AR10

Old January 7, 2022, 03:40 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Mis-matched mutt is a good way to put it. The carbine stock and handguards (and possibly the barrel) have been added, replacing the original parts.

I note the forward assist has the early "teardrop" shape plunger, which, in my experience, snags on everything (and sometimes seems to on nothing ).

In the interest of precision, I need to point out that the bolt for the select fire and semi auto guns is the same. The bolt carrier is what is different.

The weathering and wear on the pistol grip say its original, to me.

Looks like a nice example of a modified and slightly worn rifle, to me.

Congrats!
Old January 8, 2022, 05:32 AM   #4
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Mis-matched mutt is a good way to put it. The carbine stock and handguards (and possibly the barrel) have been added, replacing the original parts.

I note the forward assist has the early "teardrop" shape plunger, which, in my experience, snags on everything (and sometimes seems to on nothing ).

In the interest of precision, I need to point out that the bolt for the select fire and semi auto guns is the same. The bolt carrier is what is different.

The weathering and wear on the pistol grip say its original, to me.

Looks like a nice example of a modified and slightly worn rifle, to me.

Congrats!

Thank you. I guess it started life as a regular 20” M16 A1, like the other M16 A1 I have, which was also in Israel.

Found this website which has some details about the IDF weapons

https://idfcarbine.wordpress.com/

You’re obviously right about the bolt carrier, thanks
Old January 12, 2022, 08:54 AM   #5
Rob228

My NROTC unit in Boulder had a stack of XM marked M-16s that were welded shut. It was a damn sin.
Old January 12, 2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Classic12

After replacing the buffer, spring and tube and cleaning / lubing it properly, it ran like a champ, 100 rds without a single hiccup

50 m indoor range

I also bought four second hand Israeli 10 rds mags, the ran flawlessly too

Old July 25, 2022, 07:46 PM   #7
redlightrich

Hi Classic 12.. You always have interesting posts. And you have lots of cool guns too.
Is there any legal drama for you to add the auto sear, hammer and safety? Or did purchasing the gun ( obviously has the auto sear hole) already make it ok?

Just curious.. It seems your country's laws are fairly reasonable..

Ty and enjoy

Rich
Old July 26, 2022, 04:35 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Nice! I had a M16 A1 with an A2 upper. It was a great shooter but with the prices of ammo these days I found shooting full auto to be out of my price range and I let it go.
Old July 27, 2022, 01:45 AM   #9
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightrich View Post
Hi Classic 12.. You always have interesting posts. And you have lots of cool guns too.
Is there any legal drama for you to add the auto sear, hammer and safety? Or did purchasing the gun ( obviously has the auto sear hole) already make it ok?

Just curious.. It seems your country's laws are fairly reasonable..

Ty and enjoy

Rich

It is currently registered as a semi auto. If I put the bits back in I will have to register it again as a full auto in order to be legally compliant.
Old July 28, 2022, 06:31 AM   #10
Wag

Very nice rifle. Thanks for posting.

--Wag--