The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 13, 2016, 07:24 AM   #1
valkabit6

Online source for draw & fire training?

I live in NJ so I've never really bothered learning the proper methods of carrying or drawing and firing a weapon.
But I am considering moving out west, so I want to start training in the proper methods of drawing & firing a weapon. I have a 1911, but I've never drawn it from a holster, and I want to learn the proper methods before I potentially train myself into a unsafe method. I plan on buying a holster and a all metal airsoft 1911 to supplement range days

Thanks
Old July 13, 2016, 07:45 AM   #2
g.willikers

There's a ton of good instructional videos on youtube for free.
Look for the "brand names" like Jerry Miculek, Mike Seeklander, Rob Leatham, Clint Smith, Todd Jarrett and such.
Old July 13, 2016, 07:49 AM   #3
valkabit6

Thanks, free youtube stuff is what I'm looking for (at least to start) I just wasn't sure who I should be watching and learning from.
Old July 13, 2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Koda94

http://pistol-training.com/drills

free. Good list of printable drills to practice. Pick 2 or 3 drills to practice and print them out to take with you, or just start at the top and work your way down.

Also a good source of articles...
Old July 13, 2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Slopemeno

https://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs-results.php Here you go. Lots of other people who you can share the learning experience with.
Old July 13, 2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Here's the basic presentation from a holster worn at the waist on the dominant side as I learned it at Gunsite quite a few years ago.
  1. You want to achieve a full firing grip before withdrawing the pistol from the holster. You should not have to shift your grip. Throughout the draw stroke, until you are actually going to fire the gun, the trigger finger stays off the trigger, outside the trigger guard and indexed along the frame. 

2. While the strong hand is moving to grip the pistol, the weak hand is placed flat on the abdomen near the same level as the grip of the pistol. This helps assure that the weak hand isn't swept by the muzzle and also puts the weak hand in position to take grip the pistol over the strong hand.

3. The pistol is withdrawn straight upwards from the holster, and the muzzle is rotated toward the target after it clears the holster. If using 1911, Browning High Power, or some other gun with a safety engaged, the safety may be disengaged here, but the trigger finger remains off the trigger, outside the trigger guard and indexed along the frame.

4. When the muzzle is rotated toward the target the strong hand is at about the level of the strong side pectoral muscle and the strong hand is held at or touching the side with the muzzle pointed to the threat. If the threat is very close, within a few yards, the gun may be fired from this position. This is called the retention position. 

5. At the retention position, the weak hand comes up to assume its part of the grip. The two hands then together extend the gun either fully up to shooting position or partially at a downward angle to the low ready position, depending on the circumstances.

6. The gun is holstered by following those steps in reverse. I have been taught to follow these steps whenever removing my gun from, or placing my gun in, the holster.

7. I've also been taught to begin moving my strong hand to the gun from about my belt buckle. The thing is that if I'm carrying my gun concealed I will need to displace my covering garment to gain access to the gun. If I sweep my strong from approximately mid line I automatically sweep aside my covering garment.

Two key words here: smooth and control.

The goal is to do this smoothly. If one concentrates on being smooth and practice over and over again, he will get fast. Speed comes from smoothness and no wasted motion. And one must be in control at all times. At lot is going on, and a misstep on the presentation can be devastating. But by being smooth you retain control, and by being smooth you become fast. And by being smooth and in control you will be accurate.

Here's that five count draw, as taught at Gunsite, being demonstrated by Charlie McNeese, one of the Range Masters (senior instructors) at Gunsite Academy.

Here another well respected instructor, Rob Pincus, does it just a little different.

Here competitive shooter Max Michel is demonstrating the presentation. He's using competition gear, but the technique is essentially the same.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 13, 2016, 05:07 PM   #7
valkabit6

Thanks so much for the info guys
Old July 15, 2016, 08:37 PM   #8
dtaski

Thanks for posting !