The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 12, 2008, 04:30 AM   #1
GLP Standard

Question about SBR and Suppressors

I've read quite a bit on NFA items, as far as whats what, requirements and proceedures for owning such items, laws, price range, etc, and I was just wondering first off, whats the real point in getting a shorter barrel? I know that one reason would be to buy an MP5 clone, as MP5's have a fairly short barrel (much less than 16") but for say, an AR-15 for example which normally comes with atleast a 16" barrel, what would be the point in spending the money on the new barrel, plus the $200 tax stamp and waiting for the background check to go through just to install a 14.5" barrel on it? In this case, is it more of just a "now my AR-15 is THAT much cooler and closer to looking like an M4" factor, or is there a real benefit to it? I would definately like to have a 14.5" M4 barrel on my AR-15, but hey, I'd also like to make it 3 round burst too. The former doesnt really seem practical for the money it would cost, just to shorten the barrel a couple inches, if that, and the latter is pretty illegal, and I really dont want to spend the next 10 years in prison.

Also, Im kind of itching to buy my first NFA item, and I was wondering, what would be a better buy for my AR-15? A suppressor, or a 14.5" barrel? This seems like a no brainer, but who knows. Also, is there a website that I can go to for products like these?
Old September 12, 2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Striker071

ok 1.5 inches.... I think I would save my money. If You were going to a 11 inch or 10.5 inch barrel then I would think about jumping through the hoops. And if you are going that short why not get a 3 shot burst. If you put a surpressor on a SBR you have a LBR not really but you get what I mean. The other question is what is the purpose of the rifle? If you want it for CQB then a SBR is the ticket. The shorter barrel will change the velocity of bullet and the point of where it will fragment. ( I am sure there are others that can explain that a lot better than me) If you want a multi-purpose rifle stick with a 16 inch barrel ... spend the extra money on some optics and bam have a all around balanced rifle. Oh yeah.. there is a certain level of cool factor when you dress up a Black-Rifle and it seems to have balance because of the shorter barrel... hand guards, colapsable stock from Mag-pul...or Vltor and few other goodies. But again ... there has to be some common sense.. a little anyway. The biggest pain in the butt factor in my opinion about a NFA rifle is having to report when it leaves the state and the reasons why... I may be wrong about my understanding of the issue but if i wanna go plinkling with friend lets say who lives 50 miles away but in another state I cant. There has to be a better reason than that.. I hope I am wrong but it may be that way. (Again someone other than me here might be able to shed some light ont that issue as well and be more accurate than I)
Old September 12, 2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Crosshair

Suppressor vs 14.5" AR-15 SBR? Suppressor most defiantly. The "Sound of Silence" is much better than having a 1.5" shorter barrel. Plus you can put the suppressor an any gun of that caliber you want.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
VUPDblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker071
And if you are going that short why not get a 3 shot burst.
Because that is not legal anymore, that's why!

As to taking your SBR out of state, all you have to do is fill out a Form 5320.20 and either mail or fax it to BATFE telling them that you are doing so. It is good for a year, not that hard.

Now, as for "why SBR?" because 16" rifles are unwieldy IMHO! For general shooting and plinking and the occasional carbine class, 11.5" works good for me.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
David Hineline

First off to some people money does not mean anything.

I would never waste my money on a 14.5" gun, I like 11.5" but doing what the military is doing is quite popular in the re-inactor game, and the military is using the 14.5" M4 right now.

For LE the 11.5" with a 6" silencer is no longer than the std. 16" gun most cops would carry.

Paying the bonus money for full auto of course is related to money and priorities. Some people have more money than they ever could spend, some just buy guns instead of a nice house,car going to the bar and smoking.

Friend on the board of a gun club tells story of how a local begged for reduced gun club membership fees because of financial hardship, he was going to get approved untill the friend saw him at the bar, drinking,smoking and playing the pull tab lottery game. Case closed membership reduction denied.

Buying a base Chevy Tahoe over a maxed out Chevy Tahoe right there will buy you a M16 full auto. Both vehicles will get you to the gun club, but with one you get to shoot a machine gun once you get there.
Old September 12, 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
GLP Standard

I would love to own an H&K MP5, but at $16,000 to $20,000, id say itll never happen. Thats a lot of money to spend on a gun, even as an investment. Even if I wanted to, where would someone like me get $20 grand cash without taking out a loan?!? Thats an insane amount of money to just have lying around on a machinegun. Hopefully someday the laws will change, and I can get an MP5 for a couple grand at most, but until that happens, which I doubt it ever will, I dont think its a reachable goal for me.

As for my AR-15, the main purpose of it is for CQB. thats what I'm trying to set it up for. Here is a picture of it so far:

An 11.5" barrel and a suppressor sounds like a nice combo. Anyone have a picture of a black rifle with this setup?

Also, I knew there was a fairly big website dedicated to classifieds of Title 2 firearms, setup just like gunsamera.com. Does anyone know the address to this page?
Old September 12, 2008, 02:35 PM   #7
VUPDblue

www.sturmgewehr.com
www.subguns.com
Old September 12, 2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Crosshair

If you're going for CQB, why waste your time with the 5.56? 9mm carbines are much more controllable and the muzzle blast is less disorienting in enclosed spaces and low light conditions, yet they are still effective out to about 150 yards or more depending on optics. I've thought about SBRing my PC-9, but will wait a bit before doing that.
Old September 13, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9
aroundlsu

Here's a picture of my 9.25" setup. The suppressor is still about 6 weeks out. Will post pictures as soon as I get it.

Responding to crosshair, I have trained with mine extensively in a blacked out range and just the light on the gun. Muzzle flash was not a problem. In real life against targets that shoot back, I'll take the 5.56mm over 9mm any day of the week. For punching paper, sure the 9mm is probably easier.
Old September 13, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
GLP Standard

Hmm...whats the shortest barrel you can put on an AR-15 while keeping the stock front A post sight?
Old October 10, 2008, 01:03 AM   #11
GunDisaster

I beleive the 10.5" barrel is the shortest if you want to use the standard front sight.

I do like the 11.5" barreled M-16 with a suppressor. Here is a pic of mine: