The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 21, 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
reteach

Beretta Neos

A friend is thinking about buying a Beretta Neos .22 LR. I've tried a search here but don't see much comment about them. Anyone have solid info I can pass along?
Thanks.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:12 PM   #2
joyrock

I got one. I like it. It is the 6 inch one. I would like to get the carbine kit for it. I just haven't yet. It works well. It is odd looking at the range. It is really simple to take down and clean.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:41 PM   #3
kenny53

I have one and it is not my favorite. The rear sight messed up and I never got it right.
have an optic on it right now but just don't care for it.
Old December 22, 2018, 10:43 AM   #4
TailGator

I have a six-inch model. Mine has been extremely reliable with everything except CCI Standard Velocity, which doesn't feed well. Quite accurate, comfortable to shoot, easy to strip and clean. The small grip is great for youngsters and women with small hands, making it a great teaching tool as well as an enjoyable plinker. The sights are pretty bad, but mounting a red dot is very easy, and you can use an inexpensive one, since recoil is pretty close to zero.
Old December 22, 2018, 02:48 PM   #5
RUT

>>The sights are pretty bad<<

I added an EWK fiber optic front sight to mine and it works pretty slick now!
Old December 22, 2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

My son has one. Good pinker, quite accurate. As reliable as any 22 pistol. I just can't get past the Buck Roger's ray gun look. I had guns that looked like that when I was a kid. When you pulled the trigger, water squirted out the muzzle!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 22, 2018, 08:51 PM   #7
reteach

Thanks for the replies. I'm about to be in electronic time out for a few days. Keep the info coming and I'll read it next week.

Merry Christmas, everybody.
Old December 22, 2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Got 3 of 'em. Two 4" and one 6". I love the futuristic ray gun design. Reliable but gotta keep it clean. Top rail lets me mount red dots. Accuracy is on par with other plinker type 22's. Small grip size is perfect for the Mrs. The standard black front sights are hard to see. Swapped them out with orange inserts.
Old December 22, 2018, 09:44 PM   #9
jstert

Beretta Neos

4” beretta neos owner here, came barely used for $150, probably was sold off quickly because its looks and feel can be polarizing.

+: reliable shooter. easy to fieldstrip. high build quality. value priced.
-: odd looking. safety bites my thumb a bit, seems a tad top heavy.

i prefer the ruger sr22 for a plinker. the neos would be perfect with its unicorn carbine kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 24, 2018, 04:21 AM   #10
ozarkhillbilly

I had one, it was reliable but never really cared for it so I traded it off.
Old December 26, 2018, 09:08 AM   #11
John D

Got one BECAUSE of the odd appearance. Shoots fine, really small grip. For some reason I hardly ever shoot it - end up taking my Rugers instead. Have to run some rounds through it....
Old December 26, 2018, 10:01 AM   #12
Cornhusker77

I've got one, but I haven't shot it a lot in the last few years.
As I recall, it's a good shooter.
Like others have mentioned, it's an odd looking thing, but it's fun.

Last edited by Cornhusker77; December 26, 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old December 26, 2018, 10:10 AM   #13
sdbirddog

I have no complaints with my neos. If the price was right I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.
Old December 26, 2018, 04:16 PM   #14
RUT

>>Got one BECAUSE of the odd appearance<<

Same on this end! That plus the way it takes down.
Old December 27, 2018, 10:22 PM   #15
M88

I bought this used a while back and love it. Easy to shoot, feels right in my hand. Want to get a red dot for it as my eyes can't focus as well with bifocals. You will love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neos.jpg (89.2 KB, 370 views)
Old December 28, 2018, 07:32 PM   #16
reteach

Thanks again for the input. My friend didn't get the one he was looking at, but he might get another in the near future.

Happy New Year.
Old December 29, 2018, 10:54 AM   #17
osbornk

When I was looking for an under $300 22 semi-auto a few years ago, my LGS had the Neos and a Ruger Mk III 22/45 with the Neos being $20 cheaper. Compared to the Ruger, the Neos felt flimsy and toy like. I asked the employees of the store which one they would suggest and every one of them recommended the Ruger and I bought it. I think I made a good decision.
Old December 29, 2018, 11:23 AM   #18
John D

After all this discussion, I took the Neos out for a session yesterday. The small grip is still a bit of a bother, but the pistol is a lot of fun to shoot. Accurate, easy to handle, good sights. Sure, if I had to only choose one .22 I'd pick one of my Rugers....fortunately, I can have both!
Old December 29, 2018, 01:51 PM   #19
RUT

>>the Neos felt flimsy and toy like<<

That's interesting, as I find it to be anything but flimsy and toy like. What I liked about it was the heft. The gun I did find to be flimsy and toy like was my former S&W M&P 22C. I ended up selling it in favor of an S&W Victory, which incidentally weighs the same as my 6" Neos. (36 oz)
Old December 29, 2018, 02:31 PM   #20
Prof Young

I owned one too!

I owned a Neos while I was in search of a keeper 22LR semi auto. The gun ran well and seemed well built. Easy to clean. I really liked the look of it . . . but I just couldn't shoot it well. Switched over to a Buck Mark Contour 7.25 and am now a happy man. Neos is a good gun, just not for me. Oh, and i did look into finding and buying the stock attachment . . . . very pricey.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old December 29, 2018, 04:34 PM   #21
GarandTd

Quote:
The gun I did find to be flimsy and toy like was my former S&W M&P 22C. I ended up selling it in favor of a S&W Victory...
I like my m&p22c. It is light, but after getting used to that, it feels good in my hand. Having said that, I haven't found the ammo it will shoot well. It's super reliable, but not very accurate. Honestly, outside of a shotgun, I expect some decent accuracy out of any gun I own. For that reason, I'm thinking about trading it off towards a Buckmark.
Old January 9, 2019, 11:00 PM   #22
ARLibertarian

Ruger Mark II vs Beretta U22 Neos

My two cents:

I own both and can compare side by side. 6 inch Beretta U22 Neos and Ruger Mark II 6 7/8 inch tapered barrel.

I'd choose Ruger, every trip of the train.

I love Beretta, and have others, but the trigger is crap. Most likely due to the striker arrangement. Really sad, because Beretta DOES know how to make a good trigger.

The first NEOS I took apart, and polished all of the mating services with a dremal, cotton pad and jeweler's rouge. I replace the stock spring with a trimmed down little light weight spring from a cheap lighter (Solar brand). Had proper diameter unlike the Bic.

It works better, but still has
1) gritty feeling,
2) long pull,
3) a little creep (which because of the arrangement, always resets when you release trigger pressure)

The break is a little better and lighter now. Still can't come close to the Rugers.

To be fair, I see used Mark IIs going for $4-500 or more on Gunbroker, and I picked these NEOSs up for $200 each.

The one other change I can make is add material to the firing pin, so the sear doesn't sit so deep. That would relieve some of the travel. But I don't know if it's worth the effort. I may just divest myself of it.

Last edited by ARLibertarian; January 9, 2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Photos aren't showing up.
Old January 10, 2019, 06:48 PM   #23
sabbfan

I agree on the trigger not being very good. I was looking for a Ruger 22 and saw the Neos brand new for $260 at the LGS so I bought it. Ended up selling it 6 months later and bought the Ruger MKIV I should have bought in the first place. Granted the Beretta is much cheaper and works just fine, it just wasn’t what I really wanted. One of the irritating things I discovered was no one makes a holster specifically for it, have to get by with generic ones.
Old January 10, 2019, 07:33 PM   #24
RUT

I guess if I were to only have one choice the Neos would probably not be it. However, I like having a variety of guns and (along with the Neos) have a MKlll, an S&W Victory, and soon to be a Single Six Convertible. The Neos is still a fun gun to shoot in my book. ������