The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2016, 03:38 PM   #26
turkeestalker

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's not.
Then you and I have a very different perspective and do not comprehend what we read quite the same. Viva la difference!
Old March 30, 2016, 04:18 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Not everything deserves to have a gun pointed at it when it just needs illumination.
I don't know if this is a common design feature, but the light I bought recently has a very bright central beam, where the muzzle would be pointing, but also throws light out at a relatively wide angle.

Whilst not as bright, by pointing the muzzle at the ground 6ft or so ahead of me, I am still able to illuminate what is down the end of the hall well enough to see who or what it is. For me that means adequate illumination for identification without the risk of sweeping.

For me, the fewer things to hold, forget to take, drop etc the better.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 30, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old March 30, 2016, 04:48 PM   #28
Mannlicher

I like a white light on my HD pistol, and use a Surefire X300 on my Springfield 1911A-1. I also have tritium sights on the pistol.
The Springfield does double duty as a HD weapon, and as my primary self defense pistol when camping. works really well on a night hog hunt also.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 30, 2016, 07:42 PM   #29
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbook View Post
Well you're not supposed to use a gun light as your primary illumination source anyway.

The point of having a gun mounted light is to keep a 2-handed grip while illuminating something you would otherwise be pointing your gun at anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeestalker View Post
I'm pretty sure that's more or less what Constantine just said.

I would suggest that you practice shooting one handed as well as off handed so that you're somewhat prepared for when you're possibly not able to keep a 2-handed grip... just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbook View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeestalker View Post
Then you and I have a very different perspective and do not comprehend what we read quite the same. Viva la difference!
turkeestalker's right, that is exctly what I said.
Comprehension differs between us and you Blackbook. But, majority rule.
Old March 31, 2016, 02:01 PM   #30
shafter

Quote:
I don't know if this is a common design feature, but the light I bought recently has a very bright central beam, where the muzzle would be pointing, but also throws light out at a relatively wide angle.

Whilst not as bright, by pointing the muzzle at the ground 6ft or so ahead of me, I am still able to illuminate what is down the end of the hall well enough to see who or what it is. For me that means adequate illumination for identification without the risk of sweeping.
This is an excellent point and it's quite true.

High lumen LED lights will light an entire room sufficiently to identify a threat no matter where the light is pointed.

I carry a Streamlight Stinger on my duty belt and a lot of the time just tapping the tailcap without removing the light from my belt is enough to see what I'm doing.
Old April 1, 2016, 07:17 PM   #31
FireForged

night sights and a hand held led, that's it. A weapon mounted light-alone can foster more than one tactical peril.
Old April 2, 2016, 01:20 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
A weapon mounted light-alone can foster more than one tactical peril.
Which do feel these perils are?
Old April 2, 2016, 09:19 AM   #33
g.willikers

Since flashlights can fail at the dangest times, it's good tactics to have a backup light, especially in addition to a weapon mounted one.
If that one fails, it's impossible to replace it in the middle of a situation.
And the easiest backup to have is the handheld version.
So, knowing the handheld light techniques is still important, even if the main light is weapon mounted.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:20 AM   #34
Blackbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Since flashlights can fail at the dangest times, it's good tactics to have a backup light, especially in addition to a weapon mounted one.
If that one fails, it's impossible to replace it in the middle of a situation.
And the easiest backup to have is the handheld version.
The hand held is the primary, not the back up.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:22 AM   #35
Blackbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
Which do feel these perils are?
Not being able to shine a lite without pointing your gun around, for one.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:27 AM   #36
g.willikers

One clever fellow I knew attached magnets to his flashlights.
Then, if needed, a failed weapon mounted light could be augmented quickly.
Just a thought.
Old April 2, 2016, 04:54 PM   #37
2damnold4this

There are many times when a flashlight is needed that a firearm is not. I like rburch's plan of having a hand held on a lanyard for searching. A long gun probably needs a light more than a handgun but a hand held light is a must.

Even with a light, sights need to work in the dark. Night sights, red dots, ACOGs, etc. all could work.
Old April 2, 2016, 09:38 PM   #38
Onward Allusion

Interesting...

Strictly talking close quarters . . . hallways, corners, even in a smaller room . . .

One probably wouldn't be using iron sights (night or plain). Can y'all imagine extending your arms to use the sights? Heck of a way to lose your gun in close quarters. Like Bill D said - learn to point shoot. A laser does help with the process. It isn't a gimmick. It's a tool. One of many.
Old April 3, 2016, 07:54 AM   #39
2damnold4this

Being in the dark, inside a home, isn't a guarantee that any shots will be fired at contact distance. It's my opinion that some sort of sighting device that works in all lighting conditions is a valuable asset for a home defense or concealed carry firearm.

My advice would be to take a course in low light shooting or try shooting a POST night qualification.
Old April 3, 2016, 08:50 AM   #40
g.willikers

The world is quite different after the sun goes down.
In some places even the self defense laws change then.
A training experience in low light is quite an eye opener.
Although they can be hard to find.
Self practice either in the dark or while wearing gas welding goggles works, too.
Using airsoft guns at home is also a good way to gain experience.
Old April 3, 2016, 12:44 PM   #41
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Not being able to shine a lite without pointing your gun around, for one.
And yet: Below is from my own post earlier in the thread.

Quote:
With the light I have bought, I can keep the muzzle at the ground at an angle not dissimilar from Low Ready and still see what is directly ahead of me. I won't be sweeping any body.

As we know it's all about compromises and for me the above, whilst still have both hands fully on the gun is a good one.
Old April 3, 2016, 03:47 PM   #42
Branko

If illumination during the night is a big worry, why not keep a couple of led night lights around the home? I have a few always on, they spend next to no power, and are handy anyways.

They give off enough light to see who's who and orient yourself at night. Handy when the kids have to go to the toilet at night, or whatever.
Old April 3, 2016, 04:05 PM   #43
Hook686

You said this was for the bedroom gun: I chose motion activated lights in approach rooms (livingroom, 2nd bedroom, hall). This keeps light behind approaching individual. Also a portable sound unit with remote motion detection alerts me to movements in the house. Then night lights on my bed side gun is all that I need. Keeps it simple to my thinking.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 5, 2016, 09:27 PM   #44
FireForged

what peril?

well for starters, those situations where you simply must take your eyes off of a problem for a second but don't want to take the gun off. like when you survey the area for other threats or a suspected second or third foe. Having only one light which happens to be mounted to your gun is very limiting. Running around with a light pointed 6 feet in front of you is all well and good until something happens or until 2 or 3 things happen. Once you get past the tacticool aspect of a weapon mounted light, you see it for what it is. A good option for a very specific circumstance.
Old April 5, 2016, 11:43 PM   #45
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
well for starters, those situations where you simply must take your eyes off of a problem for a second but don't want to take the gun off. like when you survey the area for other threats or a suspected second or third foe.
The way I see it, if you're in total darkness, and you take your light source off your target (assuming it's hand-held) well you still can't see them, nor what they're doing so what good is having your gun trained on them?
Are you going to shoot them in the dark without knowing what they're doing? What if they were turning and running? Wouldn't look good in court.

Furthermore, if indeed you suspect a second or third foe, you really shouldn't be out alone trying to clear the house: that is serious "hunker down and call in support" time with 911 on a keypad.

As I explained earlier, my beam is pretty wide. At a distance of 10-12ft it goes wall to wall in any part of my house and I don't live in a goods-wagon, so my "low-ready" angle still let's me see left, right and up ahead.

For me, that and being able to keep a good double handed grip on the gun trumps the rest.

If you disagree, so be it, but what I've seen so far aren't perils. Definitely things to factor in and consider, but not perils.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; April 6, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old April 6, 2016, 02:55 PM   #46
FireForged

if you don't get it.. that's ok. As they say.. you may understand the concept but you don't get the math. If the suggestion is that a weapon mounted like is not in and of itself - much more limiting than a handheld light, I will continue to politely disagree.

Last edited by FireForged; April 6, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old April 6, 2016, 03:23 PM   #47
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
if you don't get it.. that's ok.
Funnily enough, I could say the same...
Old May 9, 2016, 10:23 PM   #48
Fade2Grey

I think a light and or a laser add immense value to a firearm.

For a bedside pistol, a light accompaniment would be a huge value to light up the darkness in a home defense scenario. Lasers are pretty self explanatory for their advantage; quick target acquisition from firing positions and situations that do not allow for a proper presentation and sight picture.

They can be expensive. I suggest checking out the TLR3 and TLR4 from stream light. Lots of reviews and info out there on them. Bright enough to light up a room, light enough to not add discomfort that negates the advantage, popular enough for holster availability.

I like having the lights or lasers grip activated. Its a lot easier under stress for me to turn them on that way than trying to memorize which side the power button is on or having to break your grip to activate them.

As with any thing, training with it helps.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:59 AM   #49
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Lasers&Lights

I' ve used CT lasers since the Company was formed,with zero issues!However,this fine post polnts out just how popular these gun mounted lasers have become.I practice non-traditional firing positions A Lot,and accuracy remains very good plus I stilll can use available cover.