The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Making Dummy Rounds

So here's the deal, I'm looking to see how proficient I can become with my new Enfield by practicing the "Mad Minute". But as .303 ammo is not quite cheap I'm looking to do so with dummy rounds of some kind. The Snap Caps are to expensive to purchase en mass (I will need about 30 dummies in total) so I thought about using a drill to put a hole into some live rounds and emptying all the powder (which should render them inert right?) and marking them as dummy rounds with a paint pen or something. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the primers. I need to be able to pull the trigger on them and cycle them through the Enfield; a lot.

Any advice?
Old June 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Clark

When I make dummy rounds, I use just a bullet and case, with no primer nor powder.

It is important to use pointed bullets if that is what the real bullets are going to be. I practiced with round nose dummies on a rifle I built. Then when I went hunting with pointed bullets, I was hunting with a single shot. The pointed bullets would catch between the magazine well and the receiver feed ramp.

And as you can imagine, the dummies should be the same over all length as the real ones will be.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 22, 2013, 09:49 AM   #3
wogpotter

Much .303 is loaded with cordite, a bit like sphagetti, so drilling into a live case won't let you get the powder out, but it might strike a spark while trying to!

Much easier (& way, way safer) method.

Buy some MilSurp ammo. Have fun shooting it. Its not reloadable so you can bubbafy it with a clear concience.

Take the fired cases, clean them & buy a box of cheap .311 bullets.
smear a little epoxy inside the case necks & hand-seat the bullets. Leave at least 48 hours for the epoxy to totally cure before use.

For safety & so I dont ever accidentally load a live round I do drill a couple of holes through the side of the case.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; June 22, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
'88Scrat

Drilling into the case does sound somewhat dubious I'll admit but I forgot to mention that I plan on doing said drilling with the case submerged in water. But if its still not a good idea then I need to back to the drawing board.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
F. Guffey

“which should render them inert right?” ?

I make an attempt not to use humor at someone’s expense, I had rather refer to the rounds used for practice as being ‘practice rounds’ and or transfers, I would not drill the case with powder/primer and bullet.

There are British surplus rounds that defy logic when pulling the bullet, I have R-P 303 British cases and RCBS dies, making practice rounds for me is a matter of setting up the equipment, surly there is another direction you can approach the problem without drilling into a loaded round.

F. Guffey
Old June 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
wogpotter

Scrat:
If you want to send me some fired cases & bullet heads I'll be glad to run some off for you as I have reloading equipment.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 22, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
big al hunter

When I make dummy ammo I use an inertia bullet puller to remove the bullet. Then I load the empty casing in my gun and "shoot" it to kill the primer. Then push the bullet back into place. A dab of fingernail polish around the bullet helps hold it in place and marks it as a dummy. Be sure to measure the length of the original load so you can match it.

If you manage to drill a hole safely and remove the powder the primer is just strong enough to move the bullet into the barrel
Old June 22, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
'88Scrat

wogpotter that would be awsome man! As it stands I reload my own shotshells but have as yet to delve into reloading pistol or rifle ammunition.
Old June 22, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

That's the way to go. If you merely empty powder from a live round, the primer is still live. Even submersion cannot be counted on to kill them. If you fired a primer in a drilled case it probably wouldn't do damage (though you'd still have to clean corrosive primer residue carefully from the chamber and maybe off the bolt face and around the feed ramp area from the loose chamber fit letting gas bleed backward). There'd also be a chance, though not great with holes in a case, of getting a bullet dislodged and stuck in the throat and having to push it out with a rod before practice could continue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 22, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Pahoo

Great resolve !!!

Quote:
I'll be glad to run some off for you as I have reloading equipment.
wogpotter
My compliments and you definitely deserve a big "Atta-Boy". Know that you have made someone's day, better. ......

Be Safe !!!