The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2013, 10:50 AM   #26
rclark

Quote:
Then the shortages hit.
Yep.... That is why I have tested a bunch of powders (still do occasionally) and found good loads with them. I like my 'pet' loads, but if I have to, there are tested loads with other powders waiting in the wings if necessary to fall back on.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 1, 2014, 11:25 AM   #27
Nick_C_S

^^ (#25) Clark wins ^^
Old January 1, 2014, 05:44 PM   #28

Unique and W231 have been standby's for years and probably the 2 best selling handgun powders. There is another that has better pressure stability, meters better than either, particularly Unique. Ramshot True Blue, if you can find it, is the single best one powder fits all if such a thing exists. Hopefully the current lack of administration won't make us find out!
Old January 1, 2014, 06:20 PM   #29
Sarge

Everything on your list can be loaded quite satisfactorily with W231 and W296.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:27 PM   #30
spaniel

I use Unique for mid-range plinking loads for 9mm, 40SW, 38Spl, 41Mag, 44Mag, and 45LC. While I have specialized loads for each caliber using another 3-4 powders to optimize performance, 90% of my shooting is done with Unique.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:45 PM   #31
PoiDog

Unique for handguns, and Varget for rifles.

They both will do a bunch of calibers. If you can find them that is.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:49 PM   #32
fshfindr

Get that Unique
Old January 1, 2014, 11:57 PM   #33
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGuy

Is it possible to use one Powder for multiple calibers?
I currently reload the following calibers 9MM, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 45 Long Colt, .45 ACP. Currently I have probable 5 different powders to load these calibers. I would like to find one or 2 powders that I can use to load all of the above calibers. Is this possible ?
Possible? Sure. Smart? No.

Personally if I couldn't optimize each of those cartridges with the best powder for the application then I'd sell off some of those firearms. Or give up reloading for them.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:04 AM   #34
Sarge

AT one time I had 24 powders in my cabinet, many of which where given to me by an older brother who quit reloading. It was a miserable experience because I felt like I had to try all those powders, looking for the perfect load for each of 10-12 guns. I finally said 'screw it' and settled on the two pistol powders I mentioned earlier.

Some folks love the hunt for a perfect load. I love to shoot and the less BS it takes to get there, the better I like it. Truth be told I have never built a load I could out-shoot, standing on my hind legs like a man.