The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2001, 04:56 AM   #1
JJCII

I have an FR-8 Spainish Mauser that is stamped with a manufacture year of 1951. The bore is in good shape and overall the rifle is in very good condition with what looks to be its original finish. However, at the front of the receiver in a 1/4" spot just in front of the roll-marked stamp, some pitting has occured. The pitting is normally hidden by the handguard. Is this a safe condition for this particular type of rifle or am I playing with a pipe bomb?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

JJCII
Old January 7, 2001, 09:08 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

JJCII, no this isn't unsafe. Unfortunately it is very common to find pitting in areas of the receivers on these and other Mausers where the metal is covered by wood. I've disassembled some of these that looked near perfect until you remove the stock and find those hidden areas that look like the surface of the moon. George
Old January 7, 2001, 11:53 PM   #3
JJCII

Thanks George. I've already fired about 20 rounds through it and would like to keep this rifle as a general purpose gun. The pistol grip or lack thereof, is driving me crazy but other than that I really like this rifle. Again thanks for your reply.

JJCII