The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 29, 1999, 04:32 PM   #1
motorep

Harley, I have a Colt Buntline Scout .22 that I bought new in 1969 or 1970. Sent it back to Colt for wlnut grips and a .22 mag cylinder to be fitted. It has a little holster wear at the muzzle and on the mag cylinder. Any idea what it's worth today?
Old May 29, 1999, 06:22 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

I'm no good with values. However, if you send the serial number, I should be able to track down which year it left the Colt factory.
Old May 30, 1999, 05:21 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

MOTOREP:
Sorry for the delay. Had some "Honey Do's" to take care of.

My records indicate Your buntline is listed under the Colt Frontier Scout model. It comes in .22 or .22mag, (introduced after 1960) Ther is a Q or F suffix, blue with bright alloy frame, all blue, or duotone finish. (Q models only) The duotone being the most rare. It came in 4 1/2" or 9 1/2" barrels, and was available w/ interchangeable chlinders after 1964. It came with black composition or walnut grips, with approx 246,000 mgg'd. Mfg'd from 1957-1970.

From your indication about the cylinder and the grips, I am assuming the condition is @ 100% and provide only that value.
According to my records, (Blue book of gun values, 17th Edition) The Value of your piece is as follows:

@100%=$400.00
Add 10% for extra cylinder
Add 20% for Buntline model
Add 25% for "Q" suffix- mfg'd 1957-58 only.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 30, 1999).]
Old May 30, 1999, 07:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Motorep,

Take the cylinder out of that Scout and take a look at the cylinder stop (bolt). If it looks open on the top, with just two sides, it is the old style and should be replaced. The later type has a flap of metal that bends over and closes the top of the cylinder stop. An even later type is solid, like the SAA one. Problem was that after a little use, the old style sides got pinched together and allowed a lot of cylinder play when locked up, with resulting lead spitting and inaccuracy. Very bad. The newer types solved the problem.

Jim
Old September 7, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
svsouthernstar

Colt Buntline Scout 22LR

Good evening Harley,

I also have a colt Buntline Scout with full nickle finish and Walnut grips.I aquired this Gun from my late dad. I would like to find out when it was made .
Its SER# number is 8265K. Could you shed some light on this very fine gun.
Many Thanks
John
Old September 7, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Loader9

Your shooter was made in 1962.
http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html