The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2016, 01:01 PM   #1
nhyrum

What's up with federal match primer boxes?

Why are the boxes for federal gold medal match primers so monstrous AND they have primers on their side? I bet they could get almost 1000 in the same box, making it double sided, and moving them all close together. Seems like a waste of space and plastic to me... Huge plastic box for 100 little primers
Old October 28, 2016, 01:21 PM   #2
higgite

Ah, the annual Federal primer packaging thread.
Old October 28, 2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Nhyrum,

Try searching the forum on this topic. There were some incidents of primers going off in the packaging during transport in the past that encouraged the current packaging. The hydroxide form of lead styphnate used by federal has seemed to many to be more sensitive than the normal lead styphnate used by most other primer makers. The packaging suggests that may be so.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 28, 2016, 01:41 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Quote:
Why are the boxes for federal gold medal match primers so monstrous AND they have primers on their side? I bet they could get almost 1000 in the same box, making it double sided, and moving them all close together. Seems like a waste of space and plastic to me... Huge plastic box for 100 little primers
It is alleged R. Lee in his book on modern reloading claimed Federal primers were dangerous, and then there was another alleged, some say he did not recommend Federal primers and if a reloader choose to ignore his advise they should not use more than 10 primers in the Auto primer at one time.

Well? That did not work on me because that is what I want; I want the most dangerous primers and I want the most powerful primers.

The big box? I have said Federal designed the big box for primers to upset users of Lee hand primers; because, they could not figure how to dump the primers from the big box to the small tray. Again, not for me, I sectioned the sleeve on the Federal primer tray by removing a 1/4 section. By rotating the sleeve I dump 25 primers at t time and then I have the big Dillon flip tray.

Back to the book on modern reloading by R. Lee, in his book R. Lee said he did not test Federal primers because Federal did not furnish primers to be tested.

And then there is the story about a Fed-X driver that blew his thing off; his tail gate, it is alleged he dropped a case of primers and blew his thing off, his tail gate so if you see a Fed-x driver running around town without a tail gate:rolleyes

If not for Federal primers I would be out of primers.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 28, 2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old October 28, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5
nhyrum

Thanks for the quick info. I've heard fed's match are the best, so I started picking them up and was slightly appalled by the size

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old October 28, 2016, 08:22 PM   #6
Pathfinder45

Apparently, Federal cares enough about their primers that they feel their product is worthy of better packaging as well. Now, if the stores could just get some Federal 215's back on the shelves, things would start looking to be on the upswing.