The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1
sltm1

Brasser Question

I finally got around to firing my new/old Uberti G&G that I shortened the bbl on. Love the gun and it's pretty damn accurate too. Standard wisdom is to never shoot it with a conversion cylinder and I friend of mine asked me why not using Schofield 45 loads? I didn't have an answer, they are only 20g of powder but what would the pressure change be using a casing instead of filling a cylinder if any?
Old April 20, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

What is...

...The difference in weight and diameter of the bullet?

and

How does that effect the forces on the revolver?
Old April 20, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Hellgate

I would assume the Scofield load would be a 200gr bullet. That would likely be higher pressure to blow it out of the gun even with 20grs powder. Also a bigger slug is gonna have more resistance due to its weight and larger bearing surface thus putting more stress on the gun to pull the arbor out of the frame when being pushed down the barrel. A crimped in harder bullet alloy would also add to the stress on the gun when fired. It may not be that much of a difference but I'd expect a steady diet of Scofield loads would stretch the gun out faster than just the dead soft 142gr balls.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 21, 2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

That was my thought...

...Seems like the forces could be significantly different
Old April 21, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5
ZVP

I have shot my '58 Remington with a conversion cylinder and Scofield reloads and WOW what an accurate and sweet shooting load it is! I got a 5 shot cloverleaf @ 21 ft!
If the conversion cylinder were mine, I think I'd just leave it in the revolver qnd call it good enough! Sadly the cylinder wasn't mine. I don't know the powder charge but it was light recoiling and all BP. Rge bullet was a conical 200 grainer.
ZVP
Old April 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

With a open top cap and ball revolver the recoil force is spread around the arbor, when converted to cartridge this force is primary at the top of the recoil shield. This can cause cracks to develop in the frame at the trigger screw area. This was a problem in the early conversion with a steel frame, not a good idea with a brass frame.