The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2001, 06:43 PM   #1
Sisco

Started loading some .22 Hornet rounds this afternoon with some 40 gr Seirra bullets. After about five rounds I was examining one and pressed on the bullet with my thumb and it easily pushed back into the case. I'm using a Lee collet die set, double checked the sizing die and screwed it in another half turn but the bullets still won't hold. Tried a couple of Rem. 45 grainers and while I could push them in it took considerable effort to do so. Both bullets measure .224" diameter, the case necks are .221 after sizing. Any suggestions?
Old April 12, 2001, 07:11 PM   #2
Big Bunny

This is a difficult one SK.

You have accurately 'miked' the projectiles and o/s neck -allowing for thickness of brass -OK...Good.....Is the press/die worn in the pins?......cases too old and too springy/fractured.....cases ALL sized OK....all projectiles consistent in diameter...canalure deapth the same and OK?

Well those are my only ideas SK! You should have had no problem with the dimensions you quoted.I am mystified.
"Check everything twice and then have a think" is my usual strategy! Even if this is needed for a 100 rd whole box.

Also.... there are two measurements for the .22H projectile due to its age, as it is a rimmed BP cartridge originally. Could some of the other projectiles have got mixed up?

Also maybe check your rifle chamber dimensions at the same time...you could need a custom die set perhaps.

I gave up on the .22H and got a .222Rem - but "them's fightin" words' !!

:032:

Old April 13, 2001, 12:51 AM   #3
Sisco

Figured it out. Dug out the instructions that came with the dies (DOH!) and saw in bold print that you really got to put the pressure on the case when the ram is lowered - or words to that effect. I pulled the de-priming pin out of the sizing die and ran all the cases through one more time in accordance with Mr. Lee's instructions and the bullets seated fine. Didn't mic the cases after exerting the extra pressure however.
Though I've loaded several thousand handgun rounds this is my first attempt at a rifle cartridge - if you don't count .30 carbine. Having a hard time getting used to not belling the case mouth and running it through a crimp die!
Old April 13, 2001, 06:52 AM   #4
Big Bunny

It shouldn't need that amount of force - if you are lubricating the cases ok.

Graphite/mica is OK for necks -but a little RCBS(hate that LEE water-based stuff)oil lube [or even ordinary castor oil at a pinch] for FLS is recommended even for 22H, which has hardly a bottle-neck really.

Pleased that your problem is solved anyway !

Now for some .22H small-game hunting action -maybe !!