The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 20, 2017, 02:32 PM   #1
reteach

Grips for Blackhawk .44

I have a Lipsey's Ruger Flattop .44 Special Blackhawk. As many people have pointed out, understanding the grip frame on Ruger single actions is like running a maze. But I'm pretty sure I have the New Model XR3 frame. It is 7/16 inch wide.

What I need is a rubber grip, like the Hogue 83000, but I think that's only made for a frame 1/2 inch wide.

Can anyone tell me whether that grip will fit my .44? Or, can anyone recommend a similar grip? Thanks.

P.S. - I think my question is different enough from MillCreek's to warrant a new thread.
Old February 22, 2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Targa

I went with Pachmayr grips for my Ruger SBH to tame some hot, .44mag knuckle slapping rounds. Have been happy with them, no where near as pretty to look at as the standard grips but they are less bulky than the Hogues, they are inexpensive, seem durable and are certainly doing the job I asked of them.
Old February 22, 2017, 03:56 PM   #3
SIGSHR

I second the Pachmayrs.
Old February 22, 2017, 04:36 PM   #4
reteach

Thanks, guys.

I have looked at Pachmayrs. Right now they are not making anything that fits the XR3 grip frame. I did read elsewhere that Pachmayr made a set of grips for a Colt SAA that could be adjusted a bit to fit the Ruger XR3. Apparently they stopped making them, though. At least I can't find them.

Here's the long version of the story: I've had the Flattop for a few years, but arthritis turned my hands into wimps not long after I bought it. I have wanted a .44 special double action for a long, long time, just because. Then Ruger came out with the GP 100 in .44 special, and with Hogue grips. I'm trying to decide whether I would be able to enjoy shooting the GP. If I could put something cushy on my Flattop, I could test that.
Old February 22, 2017, 05:09 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

I have a new set of old stock That may fit . They are for the Blackhawk Flat Top .
Old February 22, 2017, 05:40 PM   #6
reteach

Keybear -- If those are for the first Flattop, made in the 1950's, they might very well work. They would need some adjustment, but I'd be willing to try. PM me if you're offering to sell them.

Thanks.