The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
TheDutchman19

Winchester vs Marlin

I am looking for a used lever action 30/30. I have noticed that Winchesters seem to fetch a little more money than the Marlins. Why?

Last edited by TheDutchman19; December 1, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old December 1, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2
taylorce1

I like Winchester 94 rifles better, but they aren't made anymore in regular production. If you want to run a scope the Marlin is the better rifle.
Old December 1, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3
steveNChunter

I'm a Marlin guy mainly because that's what I was given as a kid and still own today. I prefer the side eject and I also like the Marlin's trigger better than Winchester's. I will admit however that the quality of a new Marlin ain't what it used to be. My 336 was made in the early 70's

But it's really a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. Six of one half-dozen of the other.

As taylorce1 said, the Winchester 94 is not a regular production rifle, and the new ones made by Miroku are more of a presentation rifle IMO than something I'd want to hunt with.

If you want a new Winchester 94 style rifle, look at the Mossberg 464. Same design and a very, very similar rifle to the later post '64 model 94's

Don't overlook the Rossi Rio Grande either. Also a good rifle for the money.

The Marlin, Mossberg, and Rossi are all roughly the same price point.

Have fun deciding, there's really not a bad choice out of the three, but personal preference means alot.
Old December 1, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Hawg

With Winchester its aesthetics, history and romance. I personally don't care for the looks of the Marlin or the side eject. I like my old top eject Winchester but then I'm one of those that would never dream of putting a scope on a lever action.
Old December 1, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
alancac98

I have a 1970's top eject Winchester and my wife has a 90's Marlin. I actually prefer the Marlin because of the safety system. I can cock the hammer back on the marlin and set the push safety on instead of worrying about pulling the hammer back when I see a deer come through. It would definitely be my choice for a younger hunter because of it.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Mystro

There is a pre 64 Winchester and then there is everything else. They just ooze quality.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

#1 reason I wanted a Winchester over a Marlin 30-30
John Wayne never carried a 336!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8
oldgunsmith

For a shooter I would prefer a 336 over most of the late 94's. A pre-64 in good shape would be a different story.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
TheDutchman19

This give me some to think about. Three or four time now someone has handed me their Winchester 94 to hunt something I wasn't prepared for. Every time it has been a lot of fun.
Old December 1, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

A matter of preference, mostly....

Winchester vs. Marlin

Winchester has the name recognition, and a lot of recognized history, while Marlin has nearly as much, its not as widely known, especially among non hunters and non shooters. Everybody recognizes the name Winchester.

The classic deer guns in .30-30 are the Win 94 and the Marlin 336. Marlins run heavier by half a pound to a pound, depending on the wood. Marlins have solid tops and side ejection. Winchesters have the guts drop out when you work the lever....

While I respect and like the classic model 94, the Marlin is a better gun for me, because of the way the stock fits me. Recoil is softer and I'm one of those who doesn't mind a scope on a lever gun.

Either one is a great .30-30. If you aren't wedded to the Winchester look, either one will do fine.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:37 AM   #11
40-82

The early Marlins had a flaw that I just cannot forgive. Marlin didn't make enough of them. Take the Model 95 made between 1895 and 1917. Total production ran about 18,000. Compare that to the competing Winchester 1886made between 1886 and the mid 1930's, which totaled closer to 145,000 rifles. Both companies made fine rifles.
Old December 2, 2013, 06:26 AM   #12
tuck2

Old Eyes

I have a Winchester 94 made in 1932 saddle ring, ladder site and a newer model. I like how handy the 94 carries but open sites don't work for my old eyes so I also have a Marlin 336 with a scope site and rifle sling.
Old December 2, 2013, 07:43 AM   #13
jmr40

Quote:
I have noticed that Winchesters seem to fetch a little more money than the Marlins. Why?
Winchester stopped making them in 2006. They are now making only high end versions in Japan. The used USA made versions are now selling at a premium.

Winchester quality over the last 60 years has been up and down. Get one of the good Winchesters and you have a good gun. Get one of the bad ones and you'll wish you'd bought a Marlin.

Marlin, until about 2008 or so, has been much more consistent in their quality. Not saying you might not get a lemon, but the odds are better of getting a quality Marlin than Winchester on the used market. I'd probably avoid Marlins made in the last 5-6 years.

Pistol gripped Marlins will be heavier, about 7-7.25 lbs vs around 6.75 lbs for the Winchester. I do like the straight grip on most Winchesters better. Older Winchesters couldn't be easily scoped if that is a concern.

My solution. Seek out the straight gripped Marlins. Over the years they made a few. I rarely find one that I don't buy. They offer the best features of both designs. Couple of Winchesters in there, but the rest are Marlins.

Old December 2, 2013, 11:26 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Another issue I have with the Winchester, is the collector's market. Not the people who are, and have always been collecting old Winchesters (or even old Marlins), but the speculators, including gun dealers.

When the last iteration of Winchester (in the US) closed down, EVERYTHING with Winchester's name on it jumped in price. Winchester 94s (perhaps the most produced sporting rife on the planet) was suddenly "collectable". The price seemed to jump $200 almost overnight.

What had been 200-250 dollar rifles on the used rack instantly became 400 dollar rifles. While I am a firm believer in capitalism, and I understand the law of supply and demand, I found the virtual instant and comprehensive price jump to be ...distasteful. It was not a case of supply drying up and remaining pieces selling for more (like with milsurp rifles), it was a case of retailers anticipating by a considerable amount the expected collector interest and lack of supply. By a considerable amount, in money and time. To me, that felt like gouging. Not any reflection on the rifle(s), just the people dealing in them.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15
tdoyka

44 AMP Another issue I have with the Winchester, is the collector's market. Not the people who are, and have always been collecting old Winchesters (or even old Marlins), but the speculators, including gun dealers.

When the last iteration of Winchester (in the US) closed down, EVERYTHING with Winchester's name on it jumped in price. Winchester 94s (perhaps the most produced sporting rife on the planet) was suddenly "collectable". The price seemed to jump $200 almost overnight.

What had been 200-250 dollar rifles on the used rack instantly became 400 dollar rifles. While I am a firm believer in capitalism, and I understand the law of supply and demand, I found the virtual instant and comprehensive price jump to be ...distasteful. It was not a case of supply drying up and remaining pieces selling for more (like with milsurp rifles), it was a case of retailers anticipating by a considerable amount the expected collector interest and lack of supply. By a considerable amount, in money and time. To me, that felt like gouging. Not any reflection on the rifle(s), just the people dealing in them.
Today 07:43 AM

what he said, i'm glad i got my m94
Old December 4, 2013, 12:37 AM   #16
tahoe2

the debate is always controversial, that said, I have a 1974 Winchester model 94 in 30-30 Win and a 1980 Marlin 375 (336) in 375 Win.
the Winchester is a straight grip, the Marlin has a pistol grip (which I prefer), the 94 is lighter,
which is easier to carry all day, the 336 is heavier, but then so is the recoil (that's a wash).
Fast handling carbines are great!
They both print 3" groups @ 100 yards with Iron peep sights and would do better with a scope.
I do however have scoped rifles for that task, including a Savage 99 levergun.
So I love em both, and use the 30-30 for deer and the 375 for bear, If I happen to run into a bear
during deer season I'm sure the Ol 94 will get her done.
Old December 4, 2013, 01:51 AM   #17
rmocarsky

Slickness

I have a 336 chambered in .35 Rem. and it is from the mid '80s; and a model 94 top eject that is about 30 years old and used sparingly.

The Winchester is a better carry gun and it feels a lot better than the Marlin.

But . . . to cycle the action on the Winchester you definitely get a feel of resistance like: thunk (down) thuck (up).

The Marlin is more like: shlick, shlick. And unquestionably quicker.

S-m-o-o-t-h.

There is no favorite among the two, even though there is a difference in chambering.

But, I must admit if the Winchester were a new product and did not have the history, the Marlin would get my nod. I do think it is the superior product.

Rmocarsky
Old December 4, 2013, 03:04 AM   #18
Jim243

Both are great rifles, but Winchester closed their plant here in the US and sold off their name. The current Winchesters are made in Japan and are very expensive, I understand that they are well made (Very, Very Expensive).

Marlin was just sold to Remington, and the Remlin's had a number of issues on quality control, but it seems like that has been fixed (don't know for sure).

Mine is a pre-Remington model 336C in 35 Remington, and I love it.

Jim

Old December 4, 2013, 06:14 PM   #19
5thShock

If you decide to go Winchester, for a shooter, don't bother with the pre-64's unless someone dies and wills you one. The later guns can be just fine. You can get a brand new Marlin from Walmart. Brand new. Let us know what you get and how she shoots.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:21 PM   #20
WIN1886

I currently own a modern Miroku made model 94 short rifle chambered for 30-30 and it is a good shooter and well made ! Also , I own an old pre-war 1894 chambered in 25-35 that is pretty much a safe queen because the action is sloppy and it has seen a lot of hard use over it's long life of taking deer , black bear , coyotes , and I can only guess what else from its previous owner who bought it used ! Anyway , to find a pre-64 in really good shape would be sweet and agree with most that the new 94's are overpriced but I got a good deal on mine ! I'm more a fan of the 1886 but had to have a 30-30 around as well !
Old December 4, 2013, 07:27 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
I'm one of those that would never dream of putting a scope on a lever action.
Same here. Well, I could tolerate a scope on a Winchester Model 88 or a Sako FinnWolf. Maybe even in a Savage Model 99...
Old December 4, 2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Cowboy_mo

Just my opinion

My Dad owned a Win 94 in 1967, purchased new. It was of course in .30-.30. It kicked like a mule and consequently shot like crap. Now it was the short barrel model but that straight stock just beat me up.

I have had a Marlin 39A since about 67 or 68 and it is a tack driver. Based on my experience, and the ease of mounting a scope on the 336 Marlin, that would be my preference.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #23
steveNChunter

My early 70's Marlin 336 in .35 rem has a straight stock but I've never thought the recoil to be that bad. It's also a carbine barrel. The .30-30 and .35 just aren't big enough cases to generate a ton of recoil IMO.
Old December 4, 2013, 11:15 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
. The .30-30 and .35 just aren't big enough cases to generate a ton of recoil IMO
No, they don't generate a ton of recoil, on paper. But there's more to it than just the energy figures. There is the feel of the recoil.

At age 16, I had a choice of deer rifles, a Win 94 in .30-30 or a Rem Model 600 in .308 Win. A summer shooting outing convinced me to choose the .308. The Winchester was the classic carbine, an older gun, with a steel buttplate. Shooting that gun, the way the stock fit me, with its drop and the steel butt was not a pleasant experience.

Shooting the more powerful .308 in the light Remington bolt action carbine was not as brutal on my shoulder. Mind you, the 600 kicks a lot more, but it didn't feel as bad as the Winchester, to me. Now I know that there are a lot of different things that could be done to tame the Winchester. A slip on recoil pad would have made a lot of difference, as would shooting wearing the kind of clothes one hunted in. But at the time, 40 some years ago, I didn't know that. I made my choice, and was very well served by it, and still am.

later on, getting to shoot a Marlin, with its bigger butt, pistol grip, different weight and "feel" convinced me that in a "classic" levergun, I enjoy shooting the Marlin more than the Winchester.

I have a Marlin 336, currently, as well as an 1894 (.357) and I recently traded off an 1895 (.45-70) as excess to need. I can tell you that stout loads in the .45-70 Marlin will make one forget all about the bite of a Winchester .30-30!
Old December 4, 2013, 11:28 PM   #25
mxsailor803

JMR - HOLY LEVERGUNS!!! You have a problem, you have too many leverguns so spread the wealth