The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2013, 10:15 PM   #26
BerdanSS

Range Report

What a great day! I left about 6am this morning to make the (about) two hour trip to the range. Stopped at two different gun shops I've never been in before, did some shooting, had a long talk with a nice feller at the range about wildcat cartridges and looked over a B-E-Autiful Encore pistol he had in .240 Raptor. Stopped at the Sassafras Civil War Days encampment that was going on in North Vernon....and polished off the day with a Pot Roast sammich at the Hob-Nob in Nashville.

First, some of the scenic route to the range, it's a very secluded place about 10 minuets of driving through hills and hollars, creek beds and over tree stumps.

My ol truck BARELY fits on this bridge....No duallys getting back here this way.

Last edited by BerdanSS; April 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:26 PM   #27
BerdanSS

Now the shoot'n

The double rifle did pretty well. I wanted to try it on the 50 yard which I think it would of been best at. But there were a group of...well....yahoos taking the whole thing up. No ROs out here so if you don't want to get into in with someone about their behavior, you gotta let 'em be and move to the next range.

This was the best group of the day, several bullets and powders/loads were tried. This was 90grs of 777 under a 385gr great plains bullet at 30 yards. left and right barrels should be self explanatory

The two smaller holes would be two .38s that one of the aforementioned goons shot into my target thinking it was their lane

I really think it's regulated for more like 50 yards.

Down the sights on the 100yard, this was just for pure fun. I did manage to clip a orange soda can on the first shot out of the left barrel

All in all I was pretty happy with it. I'm going to try to get some real black powder and and a chronograph and go again during the week in hopes the range will be empty.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:00 AM   #28
Doc Hoy

Good photos

What a great opportunity.

Did a little surfing on the internet about North Vernon, Sassafras and Nashville. Looks like some pretty nice country.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; April 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:52 AM   #29
Pahoo

One great day !!!

Any day, even close to this, would be a great day. Thanks for the pictures. By the way, my wife would never drive across that bridge especially with me behind the wheel. The last time was when we drove over the Royal Gorge.

Thanks Again and;
Be Safe !!!