The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 4, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Panfisher

RE-ignated my AR fever

Yesterday while in "the city" for a Dr. Appt. I happened to stop by Academy Sporting goods nad there in the gun rack was a Remington R-15 VTR Carbine except instead of the normal camo pattern it was a nice matte black and only $899. I had sort of given up on looking at AR's due overload of options and price for the one or two I actually liked.

This black R-15 I have not seen before but it still has the main features I really liked, clean flat top, round aluminum fore end, free floating barrell, A2 Style full stock, and single stage trigger, plus $200 less than the camo models. So I am back in the fever mode again.

Question: I know the Fore end on the R-15 is drilled to be able to add rails easily, but do you know if it is drilled on top as well so a flip up front site could be added actually placed on the fore end, with a flip up rear site on the receiver? I didn't think to look at it that closely while there.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
No_Use_

Yep, you can mount a small picatinny rail to put a sight

People do that to that kind of forend

But maybe the gas block is picatinny style on top... not sure!
Old October 5, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
shrewd

900 is a good deal for an AR?

Sheesh, I paid 700 for my stag which has been rock solid
Old October 6, 2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Justice06RR

^ Depends on your area and brand of AR of course. $899 for an AR with a free-float rail and other options may not be too bad of a price, depending on quality and particular brand of rail/forend.

I've never heard of the R15 and just looked it up. looks like its more of a hunting-oriented AR. As long as you like it and the price is good to you, I don't see why not, if it fits your intended purpose. MSRP on Remington's site is $1200+ so $900 is actually not bad.

There are definitely other options out there at the same price range or even less.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Panfisher

I have picked up and held many many other AR's at lower and higher prices but only two have "felt right" if you understand what I mean. The other was a$ 1200 Colt Match. One of my buddies has a nice Stag which I've shot but it just didn't call my name.