The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 17, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
RickE

10/22 aftermarket upgrades

What are the best bang for the buck upgrades for the 10/22? Bolt, mag releases? extractors? Triggers? And any single brands stand out?
Old August 17, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Crosshair

Replace the bolt retention pin with one of the plastic recoil buffer ones. Reduces action noise significantly.

A trigger kit is a good idea, but the combo I used to use is discontinued.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3
MikeGunz

I have the voltqaurtzen exact extractor and hammer Kit and bolt auto bolt release. Best three upgrades for 10 22 IMO
Old August 18, 2012, 12:42 AM   #4
bedlamite

Trigger first, then barrel, then bolt.

Volquartsen trigger is a waste of money. Hornet is better and cheaper. If you want the best, go to KIDD

Alternatively, you can send the gun to CPC
Old August 18, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
NickySantoro

Power Custom hammer/sear combo made all the difference to mine. Other mods produced only marginal improvements.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Mayor Al

1. Not mentioned yet, the 25 round Metal-lipped extended Magazines.

2. I use an extended Mag Release. I am a bit of a fumble fingered guy, so that 3/4 inch extension makes popping the factory mags out much smoother.

3. I thought about a thumbhole stock...I have a nice one on my Mini-30...but the cost and the appearance of the appearance of the style of the 10/22 thumbholes I have seen turns me off.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:02 AM   #7
kraigwy

A tad off topic.

I never was a fan of the 10-22, had one for a while and wasn't impressed. (This was before they figured out how to accurcise them).

Anyway, last week I got a Cabala's Flyer in the mail, it had a Take Down, 10-22. Seems like that would be a great camp rifle.

Anybody have one, do they work???
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8
MikeGunz

Yep shot my friends take down a bunch, seems to work just as well as the regular 10/22
Old August 18, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Pahoo

Time to Tinker !!!

To start with, I would suggest the following and in order of priority.

1. Target hammer; Voltqaurtzen, as I've had problems Power Customs. $30.00
2. "bolt retention pin" It's actually called bolt stop and becomes a recoil buffer when you go to Poly. .... $8.00
3. Auto bolt release. Can buy for about $10.00 or modify your OEM.
4. While you are in there, hone all existing cantact points and Moly.

Be Safe !!!
Old August 18, 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
militant

I like mine all original.
Old August 18, 2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Charles S

Quote:
I never was a fan of the 10-22, had one for a while and wasn't impressed. (This was before they figured out how to accurcise them).
You must be a far better shot than I am. I currently have two 10/22s on with the factory barrel (a take down) and one with an after market match grade threaded barrel that I love. However, every 10/22 I have ever owned (atypical of other Ruger center fire rifles) have been more accurate than I, generally, am capable of from a bench. Bordering on less than 1 MOA. Maybe I have just been lucky.

I currently own the Ruger 10/22 take down and love it. The Ruger 10/22 take down is a much superior rifle to the AR-7 for example. Very accurate, very easy to assemble, with repeatable accuracy. I love mine... I just got mine back from having the barrel threaded for my can. I will try to post some good pictures.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:16 PM   #12
RickE

Mine is the Takedown model, paid $10 more than the Cabelas sale. Got two of the Bx-25 (?) mags and may buy a couple more before they are off the market again (vote carefully in Nov!). I just ordered the bolt and mag extensions, and the buffer "pin" from the V__________ company. The trigger may be next. But really, are the factory barrels bad enough to replace if you are not shooting competition? And please!!! if you see a Houge overmold for this model, put the word out!
Old August 19, 2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Pahoo

How good is good enough ??

Quote:
But really, are the factory barrels bad enough to replace if you are not shooting competition?
That is strictly a matter of opinion and I shoot target as well as standard grade, not out of neccessity but choice. Bill Ruger never understood why folks thought his barrels were bad. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 19, 2012, 12:32 PM   #14
essohbe

Get a titanium exact edge extractor. You should then be able to use every rimfire ammo you can find.
Old August 19, 2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have the voltqaurtzen exact extractor and hammer Kit and bolt auto bolt release. Best three upgrades for 10 22 IMO

This. ^^^
Old August 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #16
SteelChickenShooter

I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney product and had good results. It was much easier to squeeze off a round while the crosshairs were on the target. Originally, the travel was too long and harsh. I could be off target by the time the round went off. I know a skilled person can improve the trigger, but I opted for a simple swap. I did note that the rifle cost me X-amount. And then it seemed I had to pay that a second time to get it to shoot like it should.
Old August 20, 2012, 06:27 AM   #17
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickE
What are the best bang for the buck upgrades for the 10/22? Bolt, mag releases? extractors? Triggers? And any single brands stand out?
The best bang for the buck is a few nigts on the internet reading how to diy the 10/22. You can do the easy way and buy modified parts or you can do it yourself.

Ruger barrels are very good but have a sloppy chamber. You can correct tyhis by setting the barrel back and reaming with a Bentz reamer for a modified Bentz chamber, set the head space on the bolt. Do all the bolt mods, trigger mods. You end up with a 10/22 that can shoot as well as or better than the 2k+ custom models.

Other than the barrel and stock this 10/22 was one other aftermarket part, the straight leg trigger, everything else is diy.

This International model is all stock except the bolt and chamber and shoots as well as the GM barreled 10/22.

Old August 21, 2012, 03:23 PM   #18
L_Killkenny

Quote:
The best bang for the buck is a few nights on the internet reading how to diy the 10/22. You can do the easy way and buy modified parts or you can do it yourself.
No! No! No!. Worst advice ever! Don't do it. The 10/22 is fine outta the box, a couple small parts here and there make it better. A few nights on the internet will have you tossing the baby out with the bath water and thinkin the 10/22 is possibly the worst excuse for a factory gun ever. Best bet? Do like you did (make a post asking advice), do a couple fairly cheap mods and never ever open another 10/22 mod thread. Just enjoy the heck outta the gun.

- Extractor? 1000's upon 1000's of rounds thru many different 10/22's and never needed an aftermarket one.
- Auto bolt release? Only useful if you frequent a range that requires bolts to be locked back when shooters are down range. Other than that you so rarely need to lock back the bolt on a 10/22 to not even be a worry. Bolt doesn't automatically lock back, you don't need it to release automatically either. Not an AR, stop pretending.
- Trigger? VQ hammer all the way. I too have had problems with the Power Custom so I'd avoid those. Full blown trigger rework? Not needed.
- Poly buffer? Take it or leave it. I use em cause I shoot a lot of Velocitors and figure what the heck, it's cheap.
- Extended mag release? Don't need it.
- Barrels? Ruger barrel is fine for 95% of the shooting done with a .22.
- Bolt? See barrels.
- Scope? Yep.
- Magazines? Yep. Get a couple handfuls of Ruger made magazines, 10 or 25 rounders.
Sling? Yep

Last edited by L_Killkenny; August 21, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:11 PM   #19
jmr40

In my experience some of the newer 10-22's are pretty good as is. I bought this one new about a year ago. I replaced the stock with a Hogue, but it was just as accurate before.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=22s001.jpg

On this one I simply bought a Shooters Ridge barrel and Hogue stock from Cabelas. Everything else is stock including the trigger.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=018.jpg

It shoots fine.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=017.jpg

I could spend more, but I'm satisfied with the performace I'm getting.
Old August 23, 2012, 02:26 PM   #20
pete2

Trigger job is the first thing. A kit or go to rimfire central and find out how to do it your self for $0.00. Next for me is to modify the bolt rellease, also on rimfire central. Then Scope, peep sights, red dot or what ever you like. After these items the rest is fluff but fun.
Old August 23, 2012, 02:46 PM   #21
wnycollector

I have three 10/22's. The first two I sport Boyds stocks, new aftermarket barrels (Kidd and Green Mountain), Que'd bolts and trigger jobs. With Match ammo, both shoot tiny consistent groups.

My last 10/22 is a sleeper. I sent it to Randy at CPC for a Full Tune Up. Other than the Mueller APV scope, the rifle looks bone stock...but it will shoot just as well as my Kidd barreled 10/22 For $200, Randy takes a plain jane 10/22 and turns it into tack driver.