The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
slynger

New to Reloading

here's the skinny - I'm about to take the plunge into buying reloading materials for shooting .45 ACP and .40 S&W

I'm looking at a Dillon Reloader and the carbide dies. I'm extremely new to this although have a working knowledge of how the process works.

Short of the different kinds of powder to buy and the bullets and cases what else is essential gear for reloading your first batch of rounds?
Old August 22, 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Zombie Steve

A good set of calipers, a good scale, and a loading block are the first things that come to mind.
Old August 22, 2008, 04:55 PM   #3
slynger

thanks steve

it never fails, no matter what board i may post on I am the most ignorant when it comes to reading the stickies! May have helped to read that one first but oh well.
Old August 22, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
PCJim

Slynger, let me add to that list a couple of rather current reloading manuals, and that you read them thru before beginning reloading. 45acp is a rather forgiving caliber, however 40 S&W is a high pressure round and not so much so.
Old August 22, 2008, 08:17 PM   #5
indiandave

buy at least 2 or three reloading manuals. look at verious reloading web sights . its really not that difficult. it would be good if you had someone by your home to show you the basics. i find reloading almost as fun as shooting.