The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 16, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Mags

Fixed blade knives......

I thought Id ask this question after reading the SOG Seal Pup knife thread. I'm new to knives, I always liked the fixed blade but thay are big. Some of you mentioned ease of carry etc. Please elighten me, Do you mean carry out in public conealed or not? Most of the fixed blade knives are 4" and over and I thought it was illegal to carry anything aover 3". If your not a hunter what else would a knife like that come in handy for?
Old October 16, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2
dwatts47

If you have a concealed WEAPON permit, you can carry any weapon that you choose, so long as it's legal in your area and concealed.

Next I, like so many of us, keep a SHTF kit (dragbag) that has my Wilson Combat AR15, 5 loaded 30 rnd mags , spare springs, spare batteries for the surefire/aimpoint, lube, surefire bulbs, spare shoot thru muzzle covers AND SEAL KNIFE. --- which is probably the intended use for this type of knife... as a last resort/'gotta have a knife' situations.

david
Old October 17, 2007, 12:55 AM   #3
CourtCop

I believe that it depends on the citys administrative code. Last I checked 4 inches is the legal limit in NYC but as I said the laws vary from one city to the next.
Old October 18, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
dwatts47

Quote:
Last I checked 4 inches is the legal limit in NYC but as I said the laws vary from one city to the next.
For the purpose of discussion, use of the term concealed weapon (meaning a legally owned/carried means of not giving your life to some dirtbag who doesn't cherrish or deserve even his own life, let alone yours) NYC, Chicago,Washington DC, and anywhere in california shall be mentally excluded from any advice involving protecting yourself.... as it seems those places side with the dirtbags that don't cherrish life.
Old October 18, 2007, 12:19 AM   #5
The Tourist

Periodically I carry a fixed blade Graham Brothers Razel as an EDC.

Parts of the handle and the ring are always in plain view. But I would be more than happy to show the blade to a foolish aggressor.

If you like fixed blades, find out the regs in your area and carry appropiately. There are many fixed blades designed to be carried in an urban environment.

Old October 18, 2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Mags

is there a website that lists Knife restrictions by state and whats allowed by law?
Old October 18, 2007, 07:58 PM   #7
22-rimfire

Here is a web site that should help you. http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

From a fighting knife perspective, a fixed blade is usually faster to deploy than a folder. That Razel is a real interesting knife. I've looked at them at the Blade Show and keep threatening to order one from the Graham Brothers.
Old October 18, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire
That Razel is a real interesting knife.
There are very few things in life that measure up to the hype. A Graham Razel is one of those things. In fact, it easily surpassed my expectations, and I'm very picky--very.

The Razel is not only a very well designed tool for work, camping or hunting, but it is also a formidable weapon.

Just remember, not only is it a 'razor,' but it is also a 'chisel.'

The workmanship is breathtaking and the materials are first rate.

Call Josh, order your own. You'll have to wait +6 months for the retturn telephone call. It's worth it.
Old October 19, 2007, 09:16 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I keep threatening to run by their shop. It is in Cleveland TN. Not too far. That won't change the wait on a new blade though. They have lots of orders and continue to make knives part time. Both are on the edge of going full time with their knife business.
Old October 19, 2007, 10:17 PM   #10
wolverine350

I carry the cold steel kobun, nice and flat and intimidating
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old October 20, 2007, 09:12 AM   #11
tegemu

There are alll sorts of whiz-bang knifes on the market but I am partial to the old reliable Ka-Bar.