The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 29, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Silenced22Shooter

MP5-SD, how quiet?

For those of you who own or have fired an MP5-SD, how quiet is it compared to a standard MP5 with a can on it? I've heard a MP5 in person with a gemtech can with three lug adapter attatched, and it sounded about like someone hitting on a piece of plywood with a hammer. Would the SD be alot quieter than this set up, or about the same? I'm considering either a Terry Dyer Navy style MP5 SBR (no auto sear, but sear ready) or the RTDS MP5-SD SBR (also semi sear ready). From what I understand, the RTDS conversions are the best SD converstions out there and are actually quieter than a factory HK SD. I like the look of the standard MP5 with the attatched can over the SD's look, and I also like being able to remove the can from the barrel... however, if the SD is a world of difference quieter, then that would probably sway me towards picking it.

So for those of you who know, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:48 PM   #2
hknut

I have shot an Special Forces MP5SD3 about 1000 rounds away from a trip back to the factory, and a rental gun with a unknown round count. Both were very quiet. I would go with the SD over a removable can. But with a removable can you can get other guns threaded to the same can. However a threaded HK can is a left hand thread on right.The three lug would be the way to go on a removeable.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old June 4, 2007, 09:12 AM   #3
CypherNinja

It's my understanding that the SD has barrel vents which reduce the velocity of 115/124gr ammo to subsonic. I've heard the phrase 'world's most expensive 380', but I don't think it's that bad, just something to consider.....
Old June 4, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
30 cal slut

i fired a post-86 ds factory-correct MP5SD not too long ago.

it was vewwwy qwiiiieeet.

i don't think my ear would be able to discern anything marginally quieter.
Old June 17, 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
geekdisk

MP5SD is 50% quieter than MP5 with can

I own both a factory MP5 and MP5SD (pre-86 dealer samples) and also have an E&L suppressor for the MP5SD that is identical on the exterior but is about 10% quieter than the factory SD suppressor.

I have shot the MP5 with subsonic ammo and 6 different suppressors and it's always been louder than the SD with the factory suppressor on the MP5SD.

The MP5SD is still not as quiet as my Walther P22 .22LR pistol with a Gemtech Vortex-II supressor, it's hollywood quiet with subsonic ammo.

-Geek
Old June 17, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Slopemeno

I got to shoot an '89 era MP-5SD and it was pretty quiet. We shot it indoors with no hearing protection and it was very quiet with 147 grain ammo.
Old July 8, 2007, 04:02 AM   #7
akviper

The SD was designed to operate with 115 grain ammo. That is why the barrel is vented and very short. There is no reason to use 147 grain and you should probably use the factory recommended bolt configuration if you do. The SD does slow the bullet to 380 ballistics and was not very popular with our folks after a few failures to stop. It is very quiet and comparing it to removable cans will vary with the type of can and ammo.