The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2000, 05:20 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

A friend gave me a hundred of his .38 special loads to try out. On the sight-in, I got a 12 shot group measuring about 1 1/4" at 50 feet off sandbags. The load is 3.5 grs W 231 over a 148 gr lead wadcutter. I took the brass and
bullets he sold me and loaded them up. But the groups I got were much larger than with his reloads. Any ideas on where to start looking for variables? He said to crimp _very_ lightly, which I did. I did not ask what primers he was using; I used Winchester.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dick
Old March 23, 2000, 08:25 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Monkey those groups sound too good, some psyche is probable, as you were using them first time ? Have faith in your own abilities my friend...and check sights tightness !!

I also suggest you check the diameter and type of projectiles you are using and slug your barrel diameter to be compatible [rather than the cases, but check them for splits.] A chronograph for a 38Spl should be 650-900FPS - but your load seems OK by me and an up to 4" group not un-usual at 50m especially for the ballistically inefficient '44 Gallon barrel' W/Cutter!

Try again after digesting above ...and good luck, enjoy your research !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old March 24, 2000, 05:19 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

Thanks, Big Bunny. I went back just now and measured the target again. It was 1 1/4" center to center at the widest spread of the group. The group actually was just three large holes.

The bullets I used yesterday are the same ones that my friend uses; I bought them from him.

Maybe it was the temperature, maybe it was me. That's the fun of handloading, or the frustration, depending upon how the load shoots.

Dick