The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2004, 05:34 AM   #1
indigo-357

Alliant Recipes

Hello all,

I have never reloaded, but I plan on starting when I return from my deployment (I'm in Afghanistan). I have looked at various websites that list recipes for various loads, and it seems like Alliant has some loads that go far beyond factory loads; even those from hot-loading companies like Buffalo Bore.

Example:

.357 Magnum

110g @ 2040
125g @ 1795

These listed loads are all below the current standard for safe operating pressures of the .357.

Are they testing these loads from an 8 3/8" barrel, or are they just stoked rounds?

Before you mention it, I don't plan on starting my reloading career with anything even close to this level of performance. I'll stick with factory-esque performance on my beginning loads.

Thanks for reading,

Indigo
Old October 23, 2004, 08:15 AM   #2
eka

One of your first reloading purchases should be a reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, or the like. They are a wealth of knowledge and provide you with all kinds of load data for whatever bullet you choose for you caliber.
Good luck in getting started in reloading.

PS. Thanks for you service to our country!
Old October 23, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
dogfood

Indigo:

First, let me reiterate eka's comment concerning your military service. Contrary to what you may read off the Internet, the overwhelming majority of us are very proud of everything you all do out there on a daily basis.

Now, I checked my 2000 Alliant reloading "pamphlet", and it appears the numbers you quoted were using Blue Dot (a powder I happen to like very much). In this pamphlet, Alliant quotes .357 velocities out of a 5.6" barrel. I also have an older (published around 1991?) Hornady manual. It has data for Blue Dot in the .357, but the top loads run a grain or two short of the Alliant values. Velocities are several hundred fps slower - out of an 8-3/8" barrel (an S&W model 27).

Certainly, different testing procedures, firearms and test barrels will result in varying results. This is not an exact science. Since Alliant makes the powder, I would think that they know best. However, I think they really push the limit on some of their max. loads. I have had top Alliant loads stick in the cylinders of some revolvers. Such is the reason we don't start out at the maximum.

Eka's idea to get a good reloading manual from one of the bullet companies is a good idea. Then I would cross-reference various data sources and stay on the conservative side. I have always found that top accuracy occurred at a charge weight less than maximum.

dogfood
Old October 23, 2004, 03:22 PM   #4
steveno

it is still common for some pistol cartridges to show the velocity from a test barrel which doesn't have the "vent" to simulate the cylinder gap of a revolver. this can be misleading. one of the best reloading manuals is the Lyman # 48 as it gives pressures. it also isn't tied to a specific brand of bullets or powder so it gives you a better cross section of loads
Old October 23, 2004, 11:18 PM   #5
Cal4D4

I don't have a chronograph, but there have been comments from those that do that they are not getting the velocities Alliant lists with Blue Dot. Real nice powder in the .357M, but when you get ready to brew up the top end loads I would suggest Hodgden's H110/Winchester 296. Get several manuals and accurate scales.
Old October 24, 2004, 05:58 AM   #6
indigo-357

Thanks

Hey all,

Thanks for the great information on general reloading as well as the data I mentioned specifically. Also, thank you for supporting us over here.

I think that the majority of Americans today are indeed supportive of the troops regardless of whether or not they believe in our presence in the middle-east. It breaks my heart to know that such encouragement was not present when my father was serving in Vietnam.

Thanks again,

Indigo