The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
GeeRawkz

AR15 Sling

After recently purchasing my first AR15 I immediately starting looking into the different accessories I could get. I ran into a sling predicament. I am pretty lost as determining what type and brand sling I should get (1 point or 2 point). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 16, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Plouffedaddy's MS3 HD Video Review Link

I'm a fan of the MS3 for just about all uses. The VTAC and Savvy Sniper slings are pretty good options as well.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
kraigwy

1907 style leather sling
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 16, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
HiBC

As you have been given two very different paths to choose from;

It depends on what you want to do with your rifle.

If you are setting up for a carrying strap and/or running/gunning combat shoots,I think you have that figured out.

If you want to use a sling as an aid to precision shooting,the 1907 is the classic choice.You can sling carry the rifle just fine.

If you can afford 300 or 500 rounds for a days worth of shooting,and simulating close quarter combat is your game,developing gun handling skills with a combat sling might make sense.

Using a 1907 sling and pursuing 10x hits,you can have a good day with 50 rounds.
Old June 16, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Theohazard

I prefer a two-point quick-adjustable sling like the Viking Tactics Padded Sling. The Magpul MS3 is a great sling too, but it's not as padded and tends to dig into my neck a lot more. Both of those slings can be used as a one-point with the right attachments, but I prefer running them as a two-point with one attachment on the top front of the rail (I like the Magpul Rail Sling Attachment) and one at the top of the stock.

The problem is that most stocks these days have the sling QD mount towards the middle or bottom. Attaching your sling to the middle or bottom of the stock causes the top of the rifle to tilt away from you, and that makes the grip and the magazine poke into uncomfortable areas.

I never recommend attaching the sling to the buttstock QD point if it's anywhere near the bottom of the stock, and it almost always is. Instead, use the slots that are usually on the top rear of the stock. Some setups won't let you fully collapse the stock if you have a sling through the slot, but that's a small price to pay to prevent yourself from being whacked by your grip or your magazine.
Old June 16, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
zTimbo

AR15 Sling

I picked up a The Magpul sling attachment and one of those cheap $6 bungee one point slings on amazon. Works perfectly for me.
Old June 16, 2013, 03:13 PM   #7
lmccrock

1907 good for shooting groups without a rest. Single point good for vehicle ingress/egress. 2-point for everything else. So, not shooting highpower and not SWAT? Get a 2-point. And Viking Tactics is the best of those, padded or not, YMMV.
Old June 16, 2013, 06:39 PM   #8
GeeRawkz

The interesting things about the Magpul MS3 sling is it can convert from 1-point to 2-point the downfall from what I've been reading is that it can be uncomfortable. The Vikings Vtac padded sling looks great has great reviews but is a 2-point sling only. What a predicament!

**Update - actually found a VTAC 2 to 1 converter piece that easily allows you to convert the 2 point sling to a 1 point sling. Ordered that piece as well as the VTAC upgraded padded sling. I will let you know how they turn out once they arrive

Last edited by GeeRawkz; June 16, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Fishbed77

The Vickers/Blue Force VCAS is my preferred sling for an AR.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
American Red Neck

Blue force gear 2 point slings are the best in my opinion. i never shoot with out one.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:25 PM   #11
HKGuns

Quote:
The Vickers/Blue Force VCAS is my preferred sling for an AR.
^^This^^
Old June 17, 2013, 10:06 PM   #12
spyderdude

I use the VTAC 2 point padded sling on my AR. I tried single point slings and they just aren't as stable, especially when I need to use my hands for other tasks besides holding and shooting my rifle. I know there are some slings out there that convert between single and 2 point but I don't know the specific brands and models.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
GeeRawkz

AR15 Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
I use the VTAC 2 point padded sling on my AR. I tried single point slings and they just aren't as stable, especially when I need to use my hands for other tasks besides holding and shooting my rifle. I know there are some slings out there that convert between single and 2 point but I don't know the specific brands and models.
VTAC actually has a "VTAC 2 to 1" converter piece that allows you to quickly switch between 2 point sling to 1 point. Just ordered actually, should be receiving it shortly. I will let you know how it works out.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Smit

Personally I like to keep my sling situation as simple as possible, just a single leather strap. I have seen all sorts of videos with the new combat slings that strap around your chest etc. I believe less is more with this, especially in a stressful scenario I am not going to want to mess around with a bunch of straps.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Striker1

Quote:
Personally I like to keep my sling situation as simple as possible, just a single leather strap. I have seen all sorts of videos with the new combat slings that strap around your chest etc. I believe less is more with this, especially in a stressful scenario I am not going to want to mess around with a bunch of straps.
They don't all have a bunch of straps. Current 2-pt slings such as the VTAC and VCAS are very much like the old straps except more versatile due to the quick adjust characteristics. The old 3-pt design does have a bunch of straps and I would not recommend them.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Nathan

IMO..

1 pt: the muzzle swings around too much for all but the shortest AR's.

2 pt: controls the muzzle, provides a decent shooting support,
Old June 18, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Erno86

I primarily use a Steady Strap Sling from Cylinder & Slide for about $10. It is not attached to the rifle or pistol. For various tactical positions, such as shooting off shoulder, sideways prone, hanging the rifle to draw your secondary --- IMHO --- Mapul's MS-3 single point sling, is probably the best tactical sling that money can buy.

For safety reasons at our range...we are not allowed to safe an hang a rifle --- pointed down at your feet --- while on the firing line; while utilizing a single point sling.

I sometimes use the MapuL's MS-3 sling on one of my AR's, along with a 2 point VTAC sling on another. Mapul's ambi metal sling attachment --- just behind the receiver --- is a bit noisy, but can't be beat for transition to the off shoulder.

When shooting some Hi-Power match positions...a two point leather sling --- such as the one from Brownells --- is preferred for accurate shots downrange.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 18, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Kyran Vale

Blackhawk Sling

I have a 2 point Blackhawk sling. Effective, does the job and cheap. It's not as fancy as some of the leather ones out there, but it's functional and allows me to spend my money on other toys.