The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2001, 06:47 AM   #1
Dave Honiball

As in my other thread I'm new to this reloading.

I am using a Lee Progressive Pro 1000 which i have had laying around for years but never used until now.

Problem. I tend to get squib loads now and again. I have checked and rechecked everything. No problem. Others spoken to say this happens often on this set up.

Anybody else have it and how do I correct it. I am now checking each load before seating the bullet. I am also depriming and priming using a lee auto prime separately from loading.
Old March 10, 2001, 11:38 AM   #2
Steve Smith

I'd bet it's in that crappy Lee Auto Disk. Sorry, but I hated my Lee Pro 1000. Others here love them. Truth be told, I never had a problem with my powder measure, except the lack of load adjustment (Adjustable charge bar comes in here) I always had problems with the priming system, which you're not using. I'll bet that your setup isn't right. Re-read your directions or call Lee.
Old March 10, 2001, 08:37 PM   #3
bfox

Are you using some light loads?
Some smaller ones of flake powder do not meter
so great.
Make sure your pullback chain is tight.
I like mine, at first though it ticked me
off a lot but most of it was my fault.
Some quirks but I have the hang of
it now.
Good Luck Bill
Old March 12, 2001, 08:07 AM   #4
Bullshooter

Lee Pro 1000 Quirks

I too have a Lee Pro 1000 and I reload .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .357 Mag and .40 S&W. The press defintely has a few quirks that you need to get used to. Most of my early problems came when resizing. The press would stick in the uppermost position, requiring me to use a screwdriver to pry it away from the turret. I found that I wasn't tightening the allen screw that secures the shellplate carrier to the ram spindle enough. That fixed the problem. Most of my problems now occur when the amount of primers in the tray aren't sufficient to ensure reliable feed. The Pro 1000 is a good press for the $ and I don't regret getting it.
Old March 12, 2001, 08:38 AM   #5
Dave Honiball

Most of our powders qvqilable in South africa are in a flake form, but we cant get the powders you use the price is just to much.

Checked most of the problems as mentioned (thanks Guys) and have corrected accordingly. I am also going to be priming and depriming separately as this seems to work better (loads tried on saturday). the 9mm and 45acp i,m loading are a bit on the lite side 4.0 grains on 45 and 3.8 on the 9mm. I'm looking for about 1000f/s on 9mm and 800f/s on 45. these loads give me 780 on 45 and 800 on 9mm which i am upping a bit
Old March 12, 2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Mikie

BFox said it. When you push the handle all the way up as you do when you are priming a shell, make sure the pull chain is tight, i.e., it pulls the charging disk all the way back to ensure a full charge drops in from the powder dispenser. Just because you aren't priming a case doesn't mean you don't push the handle all the way up. If you don't then you will get squibs. I use my Pro-1000 to do everything required to produce a quality round, from resizing-decapping, to priming, charging-flaring, to bullet seating-crimping. It's progressive, fast and relatively fool-proof. Your way takes longer and doesn't use the loader the way it was designed. Skip the separate priming process and let the Pro-1000 do it for you. It will ensure you eliminate squib loads.
Old March 30, 2001, 01:51 AM   #7
glock23er

Hello Dave i have pro 1000 i loaded lot on.
Make sure the chain is tight and it pulls
the disk back.If you miss a primer and spill
power in the primer feeder blow it out with caned air
I put 100 to 150 primer in the tray at a time it helps
feeding of primers.With the chain set up you are useing
a safe powder measure hard to double charge your cases.
Don't short strok it Dave gave you some info.
It is a grate press for the money.
It takes about 1000 rounds to brake in and right.
Old March 31, 2001, 04:03 AM   #8
a-bolt

I use my neighbor's Pro1000 from time to time as I only have single stage presses. Still, his gets quirky when I am not paying attention. For example, 98% of my problems came from SHORT STROKING the handle. All the way down and all the way up is key.

Another problem I had but never seem to fix is a seized black plastic thingy which indexes the plate to the next revolution. it siezes sometimes requireing @#$@# disasembly. time consuming. again, it seems this prob is reduced by not slamming the handle up and down too fast and making sure I do complete smooth strokes.

Hope that helps.