The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 11, 2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Coolray

I have a Rifle that the stock is cracked,the barrel is marked Winchester model 70 Featherweight,however there is nothing marked on the reciever the only number on the reciever starts with a T and has four digits. This gun has been passed down to me. and the only other marking is on the safety lever that reads "Buehler" I'm trying to identify year and what stock might fit.
Old March 11, 2001, 08:57 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm gonna move this to Harley's forum--that's his expertise.

Art
Old March 13, 2001, 01:29 PM   #3
Paul B.

Coolray. I'm confused. Winchester Mod. 70's have a 3 position safety, not a Buehler. In checcking out my two Winchester Model 70 Featherweights, one a Pre-64 and the othe a post 1980's model, It should say WINCHESTER on the left side of the reciever and Trade Mark in smaller letters underneath the Winchester name. The T and four digit serial number doesn't strike me as right either, although I am definitely not a Winchester expert. I know that the Model 670 had a different safety, but you say your barrel is marked Model 70. I would suggest you take that rifle to a good gunsmith and have him check out the action. I have the feeling that maybe somebody put a Winchester barrel on a Mauser action, or some other than Winchester action. Just a sneaking hunch on my part.
Paul B.
Old March 13, 2001, 07:58 PM   #4
Coolray

Paul,
I'm going to get a smith to look at it. It doesn't have any other marking except what I mentioned above. The action really doesn't look like a Mauser but I cerntaly have not seen every one made. Thanks for your input.
I also have a Model 670 30.06 and this is quite different
Old March 14, 2001, 03:30 PM   #5
Paul B.

Coolray. Let us know what the final answer is.
Paul B.
Old March 15, 2001, 09:43 AM   #6
Strayhorn

I think Paul B has the right answer - this sounds most like someone has put a Winchester barrel on a Mauser action. Buehler safeties are a common aftermarket safety for people who want to replace the Mauser safety so they can use a scope (the Mauser safety swings upward, and often fouls a low-lying scope).

I see Winchester barrels for sale at gun shows all the time. It sounds crazy, but there are numbers of guys who buy a perfectly good rifle and then spend loads of cash replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, etc, in order to get exactly what they want. They then sell the barrels and other parts to help cover the cost.

There's certainly nothing wrong with Winchester barrels. And given the number of cheap Mausers floating around the country right now (another happy byproduct of the fall of Communism) I'm just suprised that we don't see more of these hybrids.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC