The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1
macdemere

Blackhawk Corbon .45Colt +P

I'm a new member. I attempted to post this earlier. If this is the wrong area, please point me in the right direction.
I have a pre-'73 Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Colt. The Corbon 45COLT+P 265grains will not chamber...they stick out too far for the cylinder to rotate. It appears the base of the cartridge is a larger diameter than the cylinder.
Everything I've read says the Blackhawk can tolerate this load.
I tried brushing out 40 years of gunk with no visible success.
Any thoughts?
Old April 14, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
ligonierbill

I am presuming the interference is at the back end of the cylinder. If that is the case, you need to get the cylinder trued up. Blackhawk cylinders, at least .45 Colt, are often too tight. I had the same trouble with handloads using 300 grain hardcast. I sent my cylinder to cylindersmith.com. Problem solved. You can buy the tool yourself from Midway and others, or take it to a gunsmith. Good shooting.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Jim March

WAIT. First issue, this is an "Old Model" right? Aka "three screw"?

Is it possible you have a gun that started life as a 357 and got converted to 45LC? If so, you have a mid-frame gun, and that means no +P loads.

Most gunsmiths wouldn't set up a combination like that, because it would result in an unusually weak Ruger 45LC. Of course, Ruger themselves did exactly that with the mid-frame New Vaquero in 45LC starting in 2004 so go figure - but Ruger so far hasn't built an adjustable-sight mid-frame in 45LC. 44Spl, yes, 357, sure. Not a 45.

The 265gr loads should absolutely chamber in a large-frame Ruger 45 single action. I think so anyhow. If they won't, it makes me suspect you have a mutant on your hands.

You really, REALLY need to figure out exactly what you've got before shooting any 45LC+P loads. If it's a converted mid-frame, the gnarliest 45LC+Ps could grenade it in one shot...Buffalo Bore's 325gr monster comes rapidly to mind.

Run the serial number past Ruger, or compare the dimensions to other known-stock examples. Start with the cylinder dimensions, length and width.
Old April 15, 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
macdemere

Bought it new

I bought (or, rather, my grandmother bought) this new in '71. I've had it the entire time. So, unless there was some fudging at the Ruger plant, this was always a .45 Long Colt/.45 ACP.
Thanks for the response.
Old April 15, 2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Jim March

Huh. OK. Had to ask.

<scratches head>

We're into an area I've not dealt with. I think you need to figure out two things: did Ruger change the chamber spec between the OM and NM, and is there anything peculiar about that Cor-bon load?

I'd ask around at http://rugerforum.com under "revolvers" next. More likely to get somebody who knows about that gun. Or at:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sas

John Linebaugh would know but he had a mild heart attack recently, he's doing OK but I doubt he's answering EMail right now.
Old April 15, 2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Smaug

It sounds like a simple matter of gunk on the back of the cylinder. If it is dirty enough that they interfere at the back, you really just need to figure out how to clean it.

Are you using Hoppe's #9? I've had some luck on smooshed-in lead fouling with a plastic dental-style pick that came in my Outers cleaning kit.

If that doesn't do it, I wouldn't hesitate to use a metal implement to scrape it off. Better to have some light surface scratches and a functional gun.

If the bullets are sticking out the FRONT of the cylinder, you're out of luck.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 15, 2011, 08:39 AM   #7
45Colt_Man

Sounds to me like the cylinder throats are undersized and not allowing the bullet to enter all the way. Measure the throats or use a black marker on the bullet and press it into the cylinder and see if it shows contact with the throat.

Dana
Old April 15, 2011, 11:54 AM   #8
GeauxTide

I can load 275 WFN bullets easily, so it's probably the throats. My 45s are 80's and 90's manufacture.
Old April 15, 2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Daryl

Seems like I read somewhere that the old model Blackhawks in .45 Colt usually had oversized chambers and oversized throats, rather than the other way around.

Do you shoot a lot of lead?

I'm betting that you have a carbon/lead buildup in and/or behind the throat area, preventing chambering of a different shaped bullet than you usually use.

Get a piece of lead removal cloth, cut a piece from it, and put in in a cleaning jag attached to your cleaning rod. Being careful to not rub the lead removal cloth on blued exterior surfaces (it will easily wipe the bluing from your gun), use it to clean the chambers on your cylinder. While you're at it, maybe clean the barrel with it too.

It's best to remove the cylinder from the gun to do this.

Once the cylinder is very clean, try loading it. If the problem persists, I suggest taking the gun to a gunsmith for examination, or stick with the loads you've used in it 'till now.

Daryl
Old April 15, 2011, 08:01 PM   #10
macdemere

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Yes, I shot a lot of lead through it 40 years ago. (Why is it that we have something, leave it, and then try the rest of our lives to get back to it? What I wouldn't give for The Farm and the stuff I'd bring out...AR-15, MP-40, various shotguns. And the ex-Coca-Cola '59 Ford F-100!)
Old April 15, 2011, 11:32 PM   #11
Jim March

Worst case, this is a job for:

http://www.cylindersmith.com/

Tags
.45 colt , blackhawk , corbon