The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 26, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
sidaemon

IDPA Draw, from the front or underneath?

Shooting IDPA the thing that is killing me is the draw. Longer stages, say 20-30 seconds I do great, usually 3rd to 5th overall but its based on my movement, target acquisition, etc, however with the shorter 5-7 second stages I get beat down usually dropping into the mid teens on the rankings.

My first shot is always slow, and I think its because I'm fumbling too much with my cover and draw to get on target for the first shot.

So to those of you that shoot IDPA what do you do with your draw. Come in front the front and sweep cover back? Or do you come up from beneath the cover? Each seems to have advantages and disadvantages, what do you think?

Thanks zac.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Ken O

I come in from the front, sweep back. I never tried coming up, I would think you could get tangled in the vest.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3
NRAhab

The guys who win the matches come in from the front and sweep the cover garment out of the way. The only way to fix fumbling with your draw is to practice. Dry fire practice is the most economical way to do it. Do dry fire presentations from your holster until your shoulders are sore. But do them SLOWLY at first to anchor your mechanics before you try to do something at breakneck speeds.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Steviewonder1

IDPA Draw

I put a spare loaded magazine in the right pocket of my vest. That way when I sweep the right hand to the rear to uncover the gun/holster, it gets out of the way fast and stays back longer to give a clean draw of the gun.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:49 AM   #5
hankfan79

Come from underneath and your begging for a DQ from dropping your firearm. There is just too much chance of something getting tangled or in the way.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:41 PM   #6
hikingman

From the front, flick the vest, jacket or shirt. Reach, grip and draw.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
no one

I come from the front and sweep back. It helps to place some small weight in the vest or jacket pocket to keep it moving out of the way. My little finger hits my stomach to insure I'm sweeping the garment out of the way, and a little turn of your hips into the gun side will start throwing the weight out and away from your body.

With a little practice, the hip movement can almost completely expose the firearm so that all you are doing with the back of your hand is insuring the garment is out of the way to give you an unobstructed draw stroke.